Our coop construction (lots of pictures!) Updated 9/26/08-Pg. 4 w/cost

What's amazing is that pictures like that one right there teach me so much about pre-building walls, which ones to build and put up first and how the last 2 walls should fit between the first two.

Where's the buid-a-shed workshop with videos and great pics like that? General shed construction 101!

Ok, update today, 4/22.

Here he's installed the supports to hold the ridgepost, they're temporary and have already been removed (he learned the trick here on BYC!):

peaksupport.jpg

The rafters are in place:

rafters.jpg

I asked DH for a little architectural detail I saw on another shed in town. He's building me a little overhang over the front door and window, I just thought it would look nice:

overhang.jpg

Here is a closeup of the 'outriggers' to hold up the overhang:

overhangclose.jpg

Here is the back gable end sheathed. DH is making good use of 3/4" plywood that came off his roof in Maine:

backgable.jpg

We had a little excitement with the bees today while he was out there building, if anyone is interested you can check out here

It's taken time, hubby went back to work, but here are a few updates. This shows the colar ties and connectors he put in - he admits he's overbuilt the structure, but we won't ever worry about snow load!

collar-connect.jpg

The roof is done with architectural shingles - they were at a local bargain/discount building supply house. Hubby's friend gave him this roof mesh for the ridge; the perspective is a little weird but here it is:

roof-mesh.jpg

Insulated:

insulation.jpg

It's sheathed inside with plywood. Here it is all painted. You can see the cleanout door on the right - I was going to have a dropping pit, but thinking of how to do it made my head hurt, so at least I can scrape it out into my blue cart easily via this door:

painted.jpg

Here's the cleanout door from the outside:

cleanout-door.jpg

The outside hasn't been finished totally, although it's secure for the girls. Indoors we still need to add roosts, nesting boxes, and out back the run. But it's all getting there!

Quote:
Ha! You noticed that! Unfortunately we're down to three again. One was swarmy, they went to live in the hive next door, and then I caught a swarm from our hives at my mothers - they didn't end up staying, either, they left completely one day when we were out there working. I'd never seen a swarm in flight, the noise was amazing! Such is life - we should get a pretty good harvest out of the three hives that are left out there, plus two at Mom's, and the five we have up in Maine. Honey heaven!

And soon egg heaven, although out of only 12 hens now (three roos. Darnit!)

I'll post pictures of the outside when we finally get everything finished.

Ann,
You guys have done an awesome job on this coop. You can see how much work you put into it.
Its great that you have such a nice area to keep your coop and hives too.
I really like that you color coordinated the coop and hives, very cute.

That is the most overkill I have ever seen on a coop
big_smile.png
Insulation and everything, those will be some cozy chickens.

Just don't let them near the hives.... they will develop a taste for bees.

My husband will chuckle about the term 'overkill', he's used it himself, but he's the builder, so he's gone a bit nuts for the girls!

I checked out the honeybee-chicken relationship before we put the coop down there, many beekeepers are also chicken keepers, and all have said there's no problem between the two. I'm counting on them being right! Actually the run will go out behind the coop, so unless I let them free range when I'm home, for the most part they'll never be near the honeybees.

The run is going to be started this weekend. Poor girls need to get out of that coop sometime!

Back
Top Bottom