OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS (OTC) IMPACTED BY NEW FDA PRESCRIPTION REQUIREMENTS INITIATIVE

I bought the fish amoxicillin last week at a local feed store. This one is called Fishbiotic. It was the last one. Can antibiotics be stored in the freezer? There was a penicillin fish med there also, and oxytetracycline, and penicillin G for turkeys.

I don't think I got it til I went to check out.  But in anycase - amoxicillin apparent;y all ready needs scripts.
I was researching meds til 3AM that night too - LOL! Doing good to remember where it was at.

I put it in my shopping cart and proceeded to check out. No prompts.

-Kathy

This has been a very interesting discussion. As a veterinarian, I've made a point to educate myself about chickens, because I've had a flock for over twenty years. There's now a bit more information about family/ small flocks, which is great. When we might get one or two calls per year about chickens, and fewer about other farm poultry, there's not a lot of incentive to learn about their medical needs, unless, like me, there's a personal interest. I am a fan of limiting the indiscriminant overuse of antibiotics in livestock; it's about time! And I'm old enough to have seen canine distemper, feline distemper, and other awful diseases in companion animals before vaccines were used as much as they are now. Also I remember polio! Mary

This has been a very interesting discussion.  As a veterinarian, I've made a point to educate myself about chickens, because I've had a flock for over twenty years.  There's now a bit more information about family/ small flocks, which is great.  When we might get one or two calls per year about chickens, and fewer about other farm poultry, there's not a lot of incentive to learn about their medical needs, unless, like me, there's a personal interest.  I am a fan of limiting the indiscriminant overuse of antibiotics in livestock;  it's about time!  And I'm old enough to have seen canine distemper, feline distemper, and other awful diseases in companion animals before vaccines were used as much as they are now.  Also I remember polio!  Mary

So will your practice see poultry?

-Kathy

We do, but don't get many calls. There are a couple of very good avian/ exotics veterinarians in lower Michigan, who have seen some chickens too. I leave the parrots to them! Mary
That's nice that you will. My avian vet is over an hour away, so I've been thinking about asking my small animal vet if he'd be up to doing some fecal and gram stains.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom