OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS (OTC) IMPACTED BY NEW FDA PRESCRIPTION REQUIREMENTS INITIATIVE

That was one of the interesting things about the Denagard - not supposed to create resistance. Used extensively in Europe for CRD/MS/MG but not approved for poultry in the US. When I called the manufacturer the powder form is not on the FDA RX required lists through 2007. There are European studies underway that regular treatment could eliminate or reduce creation of carriers even. I hope one of the benefits of all this is research $ gets spent - or at least follow the lead .

This is one from a deceased duckling that I had necropsied at CAHFS lab. The point of posting this is so people can see how tricky it can be picking an effective antibiotic for a food animal. -Kathy
Wow, now THAT should be yet another incentive no not "vet" our birds ourselves... With that many choices of antibiotics, we need to know exactly what we're dealing with, or we run the risk of tossing 20 or so antibiotics to the wind... Looks like e.coli wouldn't stand a chance, but I could easily kill my birds attempting to beat pseudomonas... I would honestly rather my bird die from lack of knowledge rather than overdosing it to death with antibiotics, ESPECIALLY if this is a food animal.. Actually, if I put that much antibiotic in an animal, I would not use it for meat, it would immediately become a really expensive pet :p
Here's another report: -Kathy
THAT is scary... That we even HAVE that many to pick from... You have to wonder if overuse has been the main catalyst in building resistance to these antibiotics, and we might need to look at other ways to defeat these pathogens since they seem to know our every move ;)
That's wild how resistant strains can be!
Wild indeed! Just gives me more reason to work on keeping immunity and health at maximum, so if anything, they can fight it themselves before I have to be forced with the decision of, 1.Taking a sick bird to CSU and paying $100 for a blood test, 2.letting said bird die and getting a free necropsy 3.or... Loading it with antibiotics and gaining a pet at the cost of a layer. It's too risky for me to even attempt it; a vet I am not ;)

Last edited:
You have to wonder if overuse has been the main catalyst in building resistance to these antibiotics, and we might need to look at other ways to defeat these pathogens since they seem to know our every move
wink.png

Bacteria are truly amazing creatures. Look up "Bacteria Horizontal Gene Transfer". Basically it means bacteria can share genes with other bacteria the same way we shake hands with strangers. If bacteria is resistant to various antibiotics it can quite literally give those resistant genes to another totally unrelated little bacteria, they don't even have to be similar in type.

This becomes an even bigger concern in places that have a ton of different germs, such as a puddle of water on the streets of India where open sewage, flies, etc..create an environment with lots of different pathogens all in one place. Hospitals are also infected with a multitude of nasties.

Last edited:
Bacteria are truly amazing creatures. Look up "Bacteria Horizontal Gene Transfer".  Basically it means bacteria can share genes with other bacteria the same way we shake hands with strangers. If bacteria is resistant to various antibiotics it can quite literally give those resistant genes to another totally unrelated little bacteria, they don't even have to be similar in type.

This becomes an even bigger concern in places that have a ton of different germs, such as a puddle of water on the streets of India where open sewage, flies, etc..create an environment with lots of different pathogens all in one place. Hospitals are also infected with a multitude of nasties.

I play with botanicals and microbes to help in that effect, I suppose... Cinnamon extract is known antiviral antifungal, etc... And certain beneficial bacteria can actually aid in eliminating others, but without knowing what us what, the same applies as with antibiotics. There are millions of different microbes and just about as many different chemicals in plant tissue alone that it can become like trying to shoot a target in the dark :p

But hey, then at least I would still be able to eat the meat, even if I kill it with cinnamon oil... :(

That's the thing about hospitals - lots of sick people there..............

My FIL caught Staph while getting a minor medical procedure done. Died 2 weeks later. How is that supposed to make me feel about antibiotics and hospitals that are supposed to CURE these things and have better knowledge than that? :(

And my doc gives me a hard time about why it takes me 6 years to come see him for something :p

That's also why I'm so paranoid about biosecurity, and good balanced feed. If I don't bring in a pathogen, I don't have to treat it, or cull for something I could have avoided in the first place. Mary

The best offense is always a good defense............... act in haste, repent at leisure....... only takes 1 short cut to get bit. Unfortunately, things slip through no matter how careful one is. Airborne. Wild bird population. Rodents. Flocks don't live in bubbles - but bio-security is an important aid in prevention that too few practice.

Absolutely! Not everything is preventable, but at least TRYING has to count! We've had closed herd practices for pretty much my whole life, and just showing livestock when I was young opened up a door to pathogens that I am NOT ready to repeat, now that my kids are 4H age... 4H, oh boy, plague central... Determined that if they want to do that, their birds will never be allowed back on the farm.

It's a risky situation, especially for me, because I CAN'T just go run and dose with antibiotics because of my certification, so closed flock, closed herd, locked gates...

Still had rabies infected coons take out my neighbors cats. :( Not much to do but be prepared with knowledge or a lot of faith that things like that can be stopped or prevented if we are ultra careful ;)

Last edited:
I have also been blessed to live at some distance from any other flocks of chickens; no crazy neighbors bringing in swap meet birds! And I post every bird that dies of illness, so I've got a very good idea about what's happening in my flock. Mary

Back
Top Bottom