OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS (OTC) IMPACTED BY NEW FDA PRESCRIPTION REQUIREMENTS INITIATIVE

And my doc gives me a hard time about why it takes me 6 years to come see him for something
tongue.png
Poor doc didn't make money off you those 6 years.

The best offense is always a good defense............... act in haste, repent at leisure....... only takes 1 short cut to get bit. Unfortunately, things slip through no matter how careful one is. Airborne. Wild bird population. Rodents. Flocks don't live in bubbles - but bio-security is an important aid in prevention that too few practice.
Those who don't practice bio-security and good flock management practices now may be forced to when they try to buy the OTC meds to dump in their birds' water as their normal disease control practice.

The other side of the coin with regard to bio-security are show birds. I have bought a few pet bantams from show breeders and while their birds are NPIP they of course go to shows with hundreds of other birds packed in the same room, they also buy/sell birds from other states. Their national conventions are like giant swap meets where breeders from various states can swap/sell large numbers of birds.

NPIP does not test for Mareks or a variety of other illnesses so it is a safe bet most all of the breeders have had Mareks and other diseases come into their flocks. Most do not vaccinate.

Unlike those with layer/meat birds those folks would never ever cull their entire flock because of a suspected disease. They spend years/decades breeding their own lines and if birds become ill they do their best to save them which leads to much stronger/healthier birds.

Another difference is probably how they treat illnesses, whereas some folks add antibiotics to the main water dishes serving the entire flock (sick and healthy birds combined) the show breeders would most likely treat individuals or pairs of birds especially since their birds are typically kept in pairs or small groups with separate dishes.

Last edited:
The other side of the coin with regard to bio-security are show birds.  I have bought a few pet bantams from show breeders and while their birds are NPIP they of course go to shows with hundreds of other birds packed in the same room, they also buy/sell birds from other states. Their national conventions are like giant swap meets where breeders from various states can swap/sell large numbers of birds.

NPIP does not test for Mareks or a variety of other illnesses so it is a safe bet most all of the breeders have had Mareks and other diseases come into their flocks. Most do not vaccinate.

Unlike those with layer/meat birds those folks would never ever cull their entire flock because of a suspected disease. They spend years/decades breeding their own lines and if birds become ill they do their best to save them which leads to much stronger/healthier birds.

A feed store by me goes to shows, hatches, raises, breeds, buys, sells and trades. Have seen people drop of birds with Marek's, pox and respiratory infections. California has a state tester that goes to shows, auctions and feed stores like this one, but they only test for AI and Pullorum, I think. Sadly, because the Dr. says tests were negative, they think they are disease free.

-Kathy

A feed store by me goes to shows, hatches, raises, breeds, buys, sells and trades. Have seen people drop of birds with Marek's, pox and respiratory infections. California has a state tester that goes to shows, auctions and feed stores like this one, but they only test for AI and Pullorum, I think. Sadly, because the Dr. says tests were negative, they think they are disease free.

-Kathy

I just looked up a show in this area and they only require Pullorum Typhoid tests for entry.

If anything that proves that the show lines must be much more disease resistant, they have to be exposed to all sorts of things yet there birds are not all dropping dead. I have two adopted 6-7 year old retired show hens (they are my best broodies), and when I have visited show breeders they often have 8-11 year old roosters that are still going strong.

Last edited:
The other side of the coin with regard to bio-security are show birds. I have bought a few pet bantams from show breeders and while their birds are NPIP they of course go to shows with hundreds of other birds packed in the same room, they also buy/sell birds from other states. Their national conventions are like giant swap meets where breeders from various states can swap/sell large numbers of birds.

Another difference is probably how they treat illnesses, whereas some folks add antibiotics to the main water dishes serving the entire flock (sick and healthy birds combined) the show breeders would most likely treat individuals or pairs of birds especially since their birds are typically kept in pairs or small groups with separate dishes.
Mine are treated like show birds, and they're mostly mixed breeds. Of course, I don't take them to shows, and would not if I had show birds.

I found an avian veterinarian not too far away (about 35 min.) who sees chickens! There are actually two vets at the clinic who see chickens, and quite often. Not because they own chickens, but because of the need. So, the clinics are changing, and will likely have to change more with the demand. It's hopeful to know that people are relying more on the experts and care about their birds.

Back
Top Bottom