Pallet coop progress Pics

old.gif
wee.gif
I like what I am seeing on the pallet coop.I agree that the coop needs to be off of the ground,but other than that It is looking good..I am in the process of adding on to my coop for more room for my new chickens that are coming.A suggestion on the screws into the oak is to use bar soap on the threads.You can also use paraffin wax.This makes the threads slick and they go in easier.I'd also use a power tool and run them in slow so that they are less likely to snap.

Oak is difficult to work with especially trying to put screws into. If I build something I'm going to paint or cover with something I try to find the soft stuff just for that reason. I finished busting pallets yesterday and now the fun starts, pulllng nails.

tyjaco don't forget to post pics of what you're building

I looked at this earlier and got to thinking;Are you going to put windows and ventilation in it.You should vent so that it gets good air movement and keeps fresh air inside.I also would suggest a few windows so that it isn't so dark inside.
Link wouldnt work :(

I used lag bolts to put them together.

The pallets are 6' high and 4' 5" wide

I'm over 6' tall and want the door so I can walk thru it. Also I want to be able to stand up in my coop LOL The chickens cant wait for this to be done also :)

Got a lot of pallets saved still a long way to go but this is the start of it. :)

Sorry guys I had a slowdown. Ended up in the hospital for a couple of days and now have to take it easy for a bit. my blood presure played a part . As soon as I get better I'll start working on this again :)

Sorry to hear about the setback, take it easy and get a notepad out and do some sketching of your build, maybe you can come up with some good ideas. I agree with the others about getting that coop off the ground. Do all your pallets have plywood on them. I'm going to build a small raised coop and would love to find just one with something other than wood slats on the top.

Thanks I just need some rest. I wished I put presure treated down first but that stuff isnt cheap. Maybe on the next one LOL. For now I have the window cut out . Just have to frame it to go in. I will slowly make the door. I'll start hunting and buying the suplies for the roof. The coop is close 9' x 9' So the plan is a 12' slanted roof
old.gif
If I ever finish LOL

Just bust up some of those pallets that you have or get some without plywood on them and use the 2x4 stringers for legs and scab them on the the bottom of the pallets you're already using. or raise them up and put cinder blocks under them.

I got more pallets today 12ft long with 4x4 stringers and 1x6 slats. only used once.

Had some friends help me a bit wile Im layed up But here is a few more pics

Had to cut some pallets to size up the wall. Ended up using a chainsaw :(

The walls need to be braced a bit better before We do the roof.

Still a long way to go but its starting to look like a coop. I might try doing the pop door tomorrow :)

it's looking great!!

Why does it make you sad to use a chainsaw? Whatever it takes!

Don't over do!!!

I paid a lot for my saw and its $25 to replace the chain. Thes pallets have a lot of hidden nails in them. And of course I found a nail. I looked at the cain and it seems ok. The pallet cutting part of the project is done so far. I might start taking junk pallets apart and use the boards for cosmetics. Give it an out side rustic look.

Back
Top Bottom