Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
Hi all hope everone is doing OK. Nothing new here but lots of rain. LOL better than snow. Still getting 2 eggs a day but that will soon change. Pullets growing well and so are my surviving cockerals.

Hi all hope everone is doing OK. Nothing new here but lots of rain. LOL better than snow. Still getting 2 eggs a day but that will soon change. Pullets growing well and so are my surviving cockerals.

Hey, Im doing well, and all the chickens are fine as far as I know LOL . I have some chicks coming up, and they are growing very very well, as in too fast, and eating too much HAHA. But I do have some other news, I have found some very nice partridge rock bantams that my good friend is going to give me some eggs from. So I will have some banny partridge before long. YES!!!!!!! I have beeen wanting some from him.

God bless,
Tyler

Hi All,

Would anyone near central NC be interested in taking my Partridge Rock roo? We have one too many roosters and all my other chickens are Dominiques. I tried re-homing him to a friend who has three hens but then she brought him back this morning complaining that he crowed too loud in the morning...go figure! Anyway, his name is Clove and he just needs some hens of his own...

I hope he can find a nice family! He is a pretty boy and very smart. Thank you!

I hope you find a home for him. I am on the otherside of the country or I would be happy to take him. Pretty boy and sounds like a good temperament.

If I was roo short I would help out but I am not. All my gals are now laying and hubby wants me to raise at least 30 for us here due to bear attack last year. He thinks he will be back I hope he is gone for good. We will be getting goats in and I do not want to have to chase them down if bear comes threw fence and repair fence.

Anyway I have my 3 roosters and they look fantastic. We need a new camera so no new pics yet. But my main male now Longfeather is the most correct rooster I have had since Alpha. He does not have Alphas faults on comb either which is great. He has taken over the 7 gals and will not let the other 2 roos near them much. My other 2 are just a bit younger but still looking as goos as Longfeather. Now I will need to really work on the hens this year. Once I get numbers up I have 2 of the gals that will have to go. Nothing major on them but they are not correcting in offspring on their females. I can tell who mother who in those two. So they will go and their daughters shortly thereafter. Mmm will finally get to taste homegrown chicken.

While I'd love to see you go with a private breeder over a hatchery for many reasons, (either me or someone else), I have heard that McMurray's line of PR's have an attitude problem. Mean roos.. At one time I had PR's from Mt. Healthy, and they were nice, big birds. Ive heard several folks say their line of PR's is the best out of all the hatcheries. Sounds like Mt. Healthy really improved on what they got initially. What MPC said is odd.. They had to get their stock from somewhere, and if they've just had the same group of birds and their offspring for years, and not working diligently to improve it with new stock from other breeders, then it's definitely not their line. But, I don't know for sure where their stock comes from. They might have a mix of other hatchery's birds too.

The best advice I got when starting out was to ask around who has very good stock of the breeds/varieties I wanted, figure out what I could invest, and then buy from 2-3 breeders, for the best genetic diversity. It has made all the difference with my birds.

I can only add that I got one rooster from Mcmurray and he was mean. I don't know how much I can chalk up to me being a first-time chicken owner and not knowing when to counteract his shows of dominance, but he had to go. He would hunt me down wherever I was in the yard to go after me! lol. He was also very rough on the hens, not a good courter, and never chased away squirrels or gave the warning for overhead threats.

My PR girls are bossy loud biddies, but pretty friendly to humans. But they do bully my dominiques.

Last edited:
If I was roo short I would help out but I am not. All my gals are now laying and hubby wants me to raise at least 30 for us here due to bear attack last year. He thinks he will be back I hope he is gone for good. We will be getting goats in and I do not want to have to chase them down if bear comes threw fence and repair fence.

Anyway I have my 3 roosters and they look fantastic. We need a new camera so no new pics yet. But my main male now Longfeather is the most correct rooster I have had since Alpha. He does not have Alphas faults on comb either which is great. He has taken over the 7 gals and will not let the other 2 roos near them much. My other 2 are just a bit younger but still looking as goos as Longfeather. Now I will need to really work on the hens this year. Once I get numbers up I have 2 of the gals that will have to go. Nothing major on them but they are not correcting in offspring on their females. I can tell who mother who in those two. So they will go and their daughters shortly thereafter. Mmm will finally get to taste homegrown chicken.

cybercat........................WEEEEE NEEEEEEED PIIIIIIIIIIICS, I need to see more of your gorgeous chickens. NOW............pretty please. hahaha
lol.png
. Hurry and get the new cam, I don't know how much longer I can hold out ;) .

God bless,
Tyler.

Last edited:
Well, unfortunatly hubby has not been working much due to holidays. So slow he did not get a pay check for one week. Ouch. So a new camera will have to wait a few weeks till his work picks up more. As I sit here he is home again after 3 days only on the road.
sad.png
But things are picking up so I just have to wait a bit.

Well, eggs didn't fare well that far out..so, I got some chicks. 14 from that very, and I say, very good man Dick. None had died, he had two nice warmers in there, but two were weak. One didn't make it, and one is trying it's best after I have given it some electrolytes today. Here are some pics..if I do this right! Thanks Dick. I know he is out of town right now, but maybe he will see these when he gets home on Sunday.
Some are quite silver, and some darker..I didn't get the more silver ones on here, maybe you can pick them out in the group shot. :) So, does the darker and lighter color mean anything? Like, the more silver now, the more silver later? They have one of the cutest faces of any babies I have hatched, just a different look about them..sweet. I am hoping for that sweet face to mean, sweet personality. :))
They are lacing out quite nicely now..at what I am guessing them to be a week old around now..the 23rd.

Last edited:
Cybercat, are you coming to the show in Newnan in Feb. Dick Horstman is going to be there with some of his partridge rock chicks. I think he's bringing some for me. I am also going to try and get some banty partridge rocks from a friend of mine.

God bless,
Tyler.

Back
Top Bottom