Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Yes, horns used to be required. They are now considered a defect. Of all the things one can stress over, they are fairly low on my list.

Really?? So you and Jesse are saying to use him if all else is good? Just do a compensation type breeding to hens with good combs?? Everyone else seems to be fine in the comb department. Where are these horns coming from..Polish??

Really?? So you and Jesse are saying to use him if all else is good? Just do a compensation type breeding to hens with good combs?? Everyone else seems to be fine in the comb department. Where are these horns coming from..Polish??

it not from polish the orginal standard called for horns

yes from what I've been told - up until what only a couple years ago the Horns were in the standard. Now that they changed it though its a defect but not a disqualification in showing...the original silkies brought into america had the horns I believe. eventually people got to where they didn't like the horns and have been trying to breed them out.

Ok, sorry, did not get the whole post here! Had to chuckle, he looked like something from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"! Thought the straight jacket was a tad severe for spraddled legs, now I know the rest of the story!!
gig.gif
Cute pic none the less!

OMG!!! LMAO!! Did you actually think I had him tied up like that for the cure? ROFL!!!! Actually, I think a few people have thought that. It's great!!! It was just so I could handle it without injuring further.. It works GREAT. Ya just can't lay them down.

OMG!!! LMAO!! Did you actually think I had him tied up like that for the cure? ROFL!!!! Actually, I think a few people have thought that. It's great!!! It was just so I could handle it without injuring further.. It works GREAT. Ya just can't lay them down.

YES!! I did until I actually saw the OP. Gees, must've been something with the new system? LOL!! I can tell you, I had one heck of a time bracing the one I had with spraddle legs with my two unworking hands! I'd just about get it right and the little terd would move and throw in the fifth toe into the band!
he.gif
Took me about an hour to brace one bird, and then had to repeat it when she tore it off! The straight jacket is looking good to me now!!
gig.gif

Last edited:
YES!! I did until I actually saw the OP. Gees, must've been something with the new system? LOL!! I can tell you, I had one heck of a time bracing the one I had with spraddle legs with my two unworking hands! I'd just about get it right and the little terd would move and throw in the fifth toe into the band!
he.gif
Took me about an hour to brace one bird, and then had to repeat it when she tore it off! The straight jacket is looking good to me now!!
gig.gif

Yeah, once you get them in it and secure, making sure their little wings are laying correctly and it's not too tight and you sit them up, they are perfectly fine with it. Of course they probably realize that there's nothing they can do, but it sure makes it a heck of a lot easier to work on their feet.

It's more than a couple of years ago. They have not been desired in all the time I have had silkies, but people who have been breeding for decades remember them. The proper name for the horns is trifid, and they are caused by an unnamed rose comb modifier gene.

yes from what I've been told - up until what only a couple years ago the Horns were in the standard. Now that they changed it though its a defect but not a disqualification in showing...the original silkies brought into america had the horns I believe. eventually people got to where they didn't like the horns and have been trying to breed them out.

I found this excellent article on combs and wattles. Although it focuses on the non-bearded European standard, the bearded and the US standard is mentioned as well. I think it is a great article on the different combs, with lots of pictures, genetic reasons and is a great help in identification of the different combs for people starting out.

http://chickencolours.com/What Wattles-lowres.pdf

Hey!!! Thanks for the info. I will have to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom