Peachicks Not Eating

Little Thiamine is lucky to have so many helpers!
clap.gif

I hadn't read this thread before but now that I have I'm wondering if she might be partially/fully blind? Birds who can't see or can't see well often make this kind of jerky or rotating head movement, and it may explain some not eating or drinking if she can't see the food/drink or has a hard time finding it.
new 2 pfowl brings up an excellent point here. She very well could be partially blind or darn near blind. Are the pupils more black looking rather than having a colorful iris?If they are pretty black, she is probably blind. I have a friend that recently hatched a nearly blind chick. She worked with this baby, took it to work with her, stuffed it in her bra, LOL, she fed it at her desk, she loaded it with vitamins daily for weeks, I mean she did EVERYTHING for this baby! And you know, after about 6 weeks, the chick improved! It still has a bit of difficulty seeing properly, but it seems to be thriving! She keeps up with the vitamins and of course it has it's own area with a couple of young birds that do not bother her. But this little one scrapped for food and water for the longest of time.

Anyway...just a wee story. :)

Yes, I am still TRYING to get sticky Vitamin E in her mouth. Most of it lands on me, I am pretty sure. Selenium, Thiamin, Save-A-Chick, NutriDrench (VERY messy!)....scrambled egg and mash (non-medicated!)...and some watermelon treat.
Funny that you mention a vision issue...I thought about that today. I wouldn't be surprised if she has limited vision. I think she can see somewhat, but now that it has been said outloud (not just in my head), I will look especially for that tomorrow - but of course, tomorrow I am gone from 7:30am until close to 5:00pm...ugh!!
I have to say I don't see much spark. Yes, I don't have to open her beak and shovel it through food (usually - although that sometimes will get her to eat a bit more), and she did voluntarily drink the watered down watermelon juice today when her beak was resting in the juice...
I do not want to keep any of these chicks...so I am wondering if I could find someone who would want to take her and try their hand at helping her. Some food for thought! But she is hanging in, so if she can deal with my schedule for a while (REALLY busy through Sunday), I will try a bit longer.
Any thoughts about vision issues?? I can't imagine there is anything way to correct that.
And I will try to take a picture of her eyes tomorrow...
I will try to weigh her daily, too, to see how that changes.

Last edited:
Maybe call some avian vets, ask to speak to a vet tech and ask if they want her. You could also call a wildlife rescue. I suggest this because i suspect her weight is 1/2 of what it should be.

I can try to weigh one of the others tomorrow....if Mama pea doesn't attack and I can get it to sit still on the scale!! The other 2 are obviously bigger. The vet tech and rehabilitater (I know one!!) are good ideas. I just think someone might be able to do better and provide more constant care.
Thanks!

I weighed her this morning (she sat on the scale instead of standing) and she was 99 grams...so 8 grams up from yesterday (give or take). Totally impossible to weigh either of the other two as they were in a total panic.
She drank well this morning and this afternoon - probably a total of 4 tablespoons.
I took a gazillion pictures of her head and got one that shows her eye pretty well - not sure how helpful the picture is, but - here it is:

Her neck is all wet from drinking out of a small dish. I wiggled my fingers in front of her eyes and got no response, so I am thinking vision is an issue.
Her eating was mediocre so far - I left egg and mash in a little dish in her box while I was gone today and there is now a lot of egg and mash on the floor of the box. Hard to tell if she ate anything. She did eat some this morning, less this afternoon. She likes to perch on my hand or arm. :)

Back
Top Bottom