Peachicks of 2016 photos -- Let's see the babies!!!

I am so sorry you are not allowed to hatch anymore but hopefully that will change as I know how mcuh you have enjoyed your peas and chicks!

Please know you have my permission to grab any of my photos off of here and use in the magazine. Or if you need them sent to you just let me know via PM so I will not over look it. I wish I had renewed my membership and hate it isn't by the month you join but rather Jan to Jan. I am always broke in Jan.

Thank you soo much! How do you want me to credit you in the magazine?

I was working with an article that AugeredIn sent in for the magazine, and it is all about hatching peafowl. It is such a good article it really made me wish I could try hatching peafowl this year. I have had such horrible luck with hatching and his article gave me lots of good insights into why I never got very good hatch rates.

So I could only get a photo of one chick while the other two remained under the hen. They are all IBs. 1week 1 day old chick. 5 year old hen.
Very nice brother,
1f44d.png
. Gerald Barker

I was working with an article that AugeredIn sent in for the magazine, and it is all about hatching peafowl. It is such a good article it really made me wish I could try hatching peafowl this year. I have had such horrible luck with hatching and his article gave me lots of good insights into why I never got very good hatch rates.

Just say West Knoll Farm. All my photos should have that on there. I would not ever ship peas so I am not looking for recognition to sell but they can find my website through my farm name and see all my birds on there. Well, some of them. I have not had time to update it much this year. I love the UPA!

@AugeredIn helped me out in my darkest hour, I went from zero hatch rate to greatly improved because of his help.

What did you change?

-Kathy

My biggest problem was tampering with the heat. I had bought lab grade thermometers that were reading off by at least two degrees. Coupled with too low or inconsistent humidity was solved with the purchase of a new Brinsea 380 with humidity pump.

In the end, I finally figured out which thermometers were correct by placing all of them on the same shelf and checking them with the digital control on the incubator. Kind of backwards as to what I was trying to accomplish in the beginning but now everything is clicking. My last hatch was 24 out of 36, six clears and only four quitters, and two that died during pip.

Tomorrow is hatch day and I am expecting another great hatch. The hatcher is now running very high humidity and none of the chicks needed shoes or help hatching. Of the two that died, one had piped and gotten rolled face down and died, the other was two days late and my trying to help killed it as it was too early yet and bled out.

Finally! Oh boy, oh boy!
My new peacock, Super, a young purple has produced his first chick! Okay, the hen laid the egg but I am excited. He has 3 IB BS hens in with him so I can have unrelated offspring to go back with my other purple peacock, One Eyed Jack.
Forgive the sleepy baby. I had just pulled it out of the nest box of Silkie hens and brought up to the house to go in the brooder. I know a photo op was not in the pea baby's plans.
I sure do hope this will be a girl! Or one of the many eggs still under the hens will be!

Finally! Oh boy, oh boy!
My new peacock, Super, a young purple has produced his first chick! Okay, the hen laid the egg but I am excited. He has 3 IB BS hens in with him so I can have unrelated offspring to go back with my other purple peacock, One Eyed Jack.
Forgive the sleepy baby. I had just pulled it out of the nest box of Silkie hens and brought up to the house to go in the brooder. I know a photo op was not in the pea baby's plans.
I sure do hope this will be a girl! Or one of the many eggs still under the hens will be!

Congratulations! I'll cross my fingers it's a she!

Back
Top Bottom