Pekin Duck Club!

I am new to ducks too. But keep in mind they are MESSY, for some reason words just don't accurately describe HOW messy they are. Protein needs to be higher than baby chicks. They grow FAST, which also I chose to ignore initially..but wow!!

hello everyone im a new duck owner..i traded one turkey for 4 mallards,2 reuens,one jumbo pekin...and i have a few questions....does it take them a few days to get started eating a new feed? i have been giving them the flock raiser with corn and they wont even touch it..also is there anything i need to do different with ducks then i would normally do to turkeys or chickens.(i have already set up a pool) thanks

Be prepared to change pool water often. Might be a good idea to also have a smaller bowl of water deep enough for them to dip their entire beak into. Smaller bowls are easier to dump and add fresh water to throughout the day then the pool :)

big_smile.png

do i have to do anything being a member?
From my experience, a club thread is simply a way to easily find others who share the breed(s) of duck you have, so the conversation is around that topic. So even though I don't now have Pekins - I had them years ago, and really enjoy the breed and the people who care for them.

So if you just want to upload some Pekin eye candy, share a story about your Pekins, ask questions, this is the thread that concentrates all that.

Quick question regarding Jumbo Pekins.

How long does it take for these beakies to become full grown? Mine are eight weeks old now and are the size of my last two regular Pekins. I don't feed them TOO too much because I keep them in the house (since they are too attached to me and won't stay outside!!) but are they going to keep growing? I have ordered diaper harnesses for Jumbo Pekins but am worried that my birds won't be big enough for them! So unless these birds get bigger, I'm not going to be able to use the diapers I ordered!! I absolutely MUST get diapers on them soon! I can't keep washing this volume of towels and cleaning up this mess :>

Also, my little girl, Abbey-Beak, has been scratching the heck out of me every time I have to pick her up. I hope that when I start to diaper them I can find a way to do so without get talon marks all over my arms. I have to be ever so careful when I handle the female, especially, because she "gets" me every now and again. As soon as one cut from her sharp little talons starts to heal, she gives me another one! Grrrr!!! Even the male scratches me sometimes, but he isn't so nervy and fidgety when I pick him up. I have been trying to pick them up a certain way where they can't scratch me, but really they get me when I try to pick them both up at the same time. I'm finding that I just can't do that anymore because I'm going to have scars all over my arms and it doesn't look good!

But anyways, I sure do hope they grow and fit into their diapers!! Anyone with information about how long it takes these birdies to reach full-size, please help me out so I won't have to worry so much. I can't find much searching the internet, so please let me know if you can. Thanks :>

Last edited:
Quick question regarding Jumbo Pekins.

How long does it take for these beakies to become full grown? Mine are eight weeks old now and are the size of my last two regular Pekins. I don't feed them TOO too much because I keep them in the house (since they are too attached to me and won't stay outside!!) but are they going to keep growing? I have ordered diaper harnesses for Jumbo Pekins but am worried that my birds won't be big enough for them! So unless these birds get bigger, I'm not going to be able to use the diapers I ordered!! I absolutely MUST get diapers on them soon! I can't keep washing this volume of towels and cleaning up this mess :>

Also, my little girl, Abbey-Beak, has been scratching the heck out of me every time I have to pick her up. I hope that when I start to diaper them I can find a way to do so without get talon marks all over my arms. I have to be ever so careful when I handle the female, especially, because she "gets" me every now and again. As soon as one cut from her sharp little talons starts to heal, she gives me another one! Grrrr!!! Even the male scratches me sometimes, but he isn't so nervy and fidgety when I pick him up. I have been trying to pick them up a certain way where they can't scratch me, but really they get me when I try to pick them both up at the same time. I'm finding that I just can't do that anymore because I'm going to have scars all over my arms and it doesn't look good!

But anyways, I sure do hope they grow and fit into their diapers!! Anyone with information about how long it takes these birdies to reach full-size, please help me out so I won't have to worry so much. I can't find much searching the internet, so please let me know if you can. Thanks :>
Hi, Metzer farms says jumbo pekins are 11 lbs for drakes and 9.5 lbs for hens at 3 months. So they probably have another month before they are full grown. My little Gabby filled out at about that time. It seems like she gained weight and fullness really quickly after about 2-2 1/2 months, and started laying at about 4 1/2 or 5 months. She is the first Pekin I've had, so I'm definitely no expert. You can clip the sharp claws off their nails, just be sure to only take the sharp tips so they don't bleed.
I really can sympathize with you regarding all the cleanup. I moved to a condo recently and have only a porch and little patch of grass for my birds, which is not working for us. Gabby has taken OK to her diaper, though. Since she is laying, I don't diaper her at night, though, so lots of mess! Francis, my goose, is too old to be very mobile, but she also is very fast at getting her diaper off, even with the diaper guard, so I have huge goose mess wherever she may be! Hope your beakies grow into their diapers soon and take to them as my Gabby has. Life will be much easier then. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom