people with house chickens

I used to have two house chickens... does that count?
yippiechickie.gif

I hatched them out as baby chicks and kept them in a large container in the downstairs bathroom no one ever used. Sometimes I would take them out and let them run around the house, but there'd always be someone yelling "WHY IS THERE A CHICKEN IN MY ROOM?!?" and I'd have to put them back in their enclosure. As they got older, they flew out of the box a couple times and I had to put screening in to keep them from running wild. I gave them away when they were 16 weeks old; they live at a farm now and are about to turn four. I miss them
sad.png

Hi Maddie: Nice selfie!

I can see the brown a lot better on the black one now that she's outside! Adorable white one too. Of course I'm partial to the white Silkies. After having so many bearded silkies I prefer the nonbearded ones. I got tired of having to always trim the feathers from around their eyes so they could see and also so the feathers didn't keep poking them in their eyes!

TC

Couldn't decide whether to add this or not despite the state of my appearance, but who cares :p

Morning chicken selfies are the greatest.

Quote:

I got one better! I had a Bald Partridge Selfie (I mean Silkie)! Not natural as we found out the nasty Marans we re-homed was the culprit picking on her. Even her comb got whittled down by that nasty. I will never mix heavy LF with my Silkies ever again! The crest grew back thank goodness but the comb is forever smooth now. That little Partridge is now my alpha in the flock and our current LF (a 4-lb Buff Leghorn and a 5-lb APA Ameraucana) submit to the two Silkies. The only fowl not submitting to her is the other Silkie who thinks she should have equal status - who was our house chicken wearing diapers for 3 months until she was old enough to be integrated into the flock.

Next Spring hope to get 2 gentle 4-lb Breda pullet juveniles to add to the flock for eggs - not broody, decent layers, very gentle temperament, and pretty eye candy. I refuse to add over 5-lb LF to the flock because of the Silkies. Silkies can hold their own in flock politics but not when the Silkies are 2.5-lb and the LF are 6-7-lb. LF are sweet as chicks/pullets but after full growth about 18 mos to 2 yrs they start bullying smaller breeds just because they can. Had an opportunity to be gifted two rare Coronation Sussex but didn't because they are too heavy around my small-sized birds. You can't imagine how difficult it is to refuse free rare LF!

I brought Finn outside today in his cage, and also let the three hens free range for a bit. I've decided to let them free range now, they all loved it. In the morning I will let them out, and at night herd them back in. I still need a house for them, though, because the duck house is being occupied by a broody duck who is now on day 6.

I thought I had posted in this forum but I don't see it now. Sorry if this is a repeat. Yesterday I picked up these 2 little lovelies! I plan on raising them in the house. The bigger one is Buddha and the little one is Mo! They are just the sweetest things and the whole family is head over heels in love!

Back
Top Bottom