Pictures of Possible APA Standard Marans Please...

Ok Brenda, I want to challenge you to be the first for this cockerel critique... this is what this thread is for right?

Quote:
-Darris

Last edited:
Quote:
We will be holding a special meet at Newnan GA in February. The second qualifying meet will be held either late in 2010, or early in 2011 -- TBA.

I hope this helps!

I saw in Poultry Press that the next qualifying meet is early 2010 in GA?! We just hatched birds this month, but no way would they be ready to go that early. My feeling from the Belvidere show was that the club should wait until the end of 2010 at least to give time to hatch and get birds into show condition.

Is that right? If it's true, we won't have any birds ready to go.

No, we're having a *special meet* in Newnan, in February. That isn't the qualifying meet.

Both are young. Each as a little bit to much yellow in the ends of the hackles. But don't let that be a discouragement. They are young and need weight, which will come with maturity. They may even lose some of the yellow in the hackles when they go through the first molt. As one on mine did. I see promise in Chef's first & last pics is showing the more promising copper underneath that should show through after a molt. Keep your fingers crossed.

Hunter's cockerel shows to have a little more color that's going to come out in his breast. To early to tell.

Course I am partial to a black breast with nearly no color in it so that's just me.

Both wing band color is good. Saddles have promise. Good eye colors.
woot.gif

Over all some mighty fine looking young fellows. They just need a little more time.

I would not breed either to a mossy or partridge looking hen.
Breed to more of a blacker hen and that will balance the yellow color to the correct copper look.

We all need to get that tail a little more relaxed. Probably the hardest thing we are up against.
th.gif

Just remember we all have birds in work in progress. That's what makes them such a unique breed.
thumbsup.gif

I didn't fast for 40 day and 40 nights and bring down a marans stone tablet down from the mountain with me.
old.gif

Just my personal input.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
Brenda

Thank you Brenda! I agree that he does have a little to much yellow but he is still pretty young. I will wait till he moults and see if he gets the rest of the copper we are looking for. I would like to get some critique on my blue copper I have coming up as well. I will get those pics up asap. Please feel free to give your opinions as this is what this thread is about.

Chef

I love this thread. I like that everyone can speak candidly without being offensive. I sure hope when my birds are older that you will ALL give me honest feedback. I don't appreciate candy coating, as I prefer honest critiques.
clap.gif

*off to go see if the darn birds have grown some more!*

Back
Top Bottom