Pictures of Possible APA Standard Marans Please...

I don't think it would be right to publish someones name on the forum because they are selling cross bred Marans. I recently went through 87 young five month males and found 28 with Carnation combs. This is a pretty good indication that they have been crossed with the Penne., with these birds none of the female had Carnation combs, this is another reason to think they were crossed with the Penne. I have over five hundred younger Black Copper growing that I will cull later when older. From now on in the future I will only breed single matings with all my Marans. A lot more work and more culling but I do not trust any Marans to be pure and as they have form the beginning been crossed with every thing that came along. I will use Marans females as long as they grade a six on the Marans scale.

Quote:

Quote:

Now you see why there is a reason to have Marans judged by French Judges or Qualifying French Marans Judges? They will cover both bird and eggs.

This will happen------------just not as often as being judged by APA judges.

Brenda, If you show at a APA show you will have to go by APA approved standard if there is one. I also think that the time to have owned the Marans for the five people is five year before the show, and they have to be shown in certain numbers for two year before the show.

I myself believe they the APA should get it right before approving the Marans period. From my experience with the APA I doubt that will happen.

I don't see how a judge can accurately judge a bird for both egg color and confirmation IF the bird is a male. What does a judge do then? Do you carry from show to show the egg he hatched from? lolol Unfortunately, I agree with snowbird. The judge can only judge what is in front of him. The same issue is arising with these Lavender folks. There is self blue and the Lavender gene. Two entirely different genes, both looks are identical. A judge told me they would be lumped together and judged against each other as the same. The only way to know your judging a REAL purebred is too see his/her offspring. And that just isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
Thanks I wasn't sure Snowbird of how long the breeders had to be breeding.

If the proposed standard are approved......I won't be showing at APA sanctioned shows. There will be other alternatives to getting FS Marans judged.

Let's just hold our breath and see what APA does.

When we did a show in April we presented eggs for an egg show. We were in total agreement with APA to judged just the eggs different from the marans. Course we couldn't judge for freshness because of the eggs in the show were from members that shipped the eggs. But we also had sample eggs from members to use as samples as to what the judge should look for. I also had some sample eggs directly from France as samples as well.

There needs to be a better way to have an egg show. Maybe when we are able to have more MOAC members present in a show then they can bring their own eggs and some how have them presented with a hen that actually laid the eggs within the season of the show. Maybe two different ways to judge a hen. One for disposition of the hen and then her egg color. Course there would have to be an honor system but I think it can be done. This is a project that I think is feasible. Thanks for a great idea.

That's why I love discussion board that can be productive.

Brenda, what do you think about trying to get the Marans to laying a spherical shape egg as the French Standard states. Very few Marans female in the USA lay a spherical shape egg.

It is in the APA's best interest to bring the Marans on board. There will be a definite increase in attendance at APA sanctioned shows. There will be a credible standard to go by. And the breed club should be the one to affirm the standard. Any extras, like an egg show should be given the authority to the breed club to run and award prizes. This way the APA judges confirmation. The breed club is responsible for their best interests and have as many breeders submit an egg for their egg show. And all can be happy!

Or the heavily speckled?

oeufmain.jpg

shown on the French site

I think they add a lot of interest to the egg box and are different than the speckled wellie eggs adding even more variety but people don't seem to be entering these type of eggs.

Love them all!

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom