Pictures of Possible APA Standard Marans Please...

The only good thing about the APA final standard it will not change with the wind like the French Marans standard.

The last change to the French Marans Standard was in 1991.
David​

It may change due to the translator you are using. Different translators use different verbage.

Thanks David. I believe they just tightened up the loose perameters didn't they???? Too much ambiguety

The first web page translation from French to English was done by an American lady who as far as I know is no longer involved with the breed, she may even have passed away. Unfortunately it was not as good a translation as it could have been. As stated if , not being bi-lingual & an experienced poultry breeder, you have have to rely on translation programs such as Babelfish, you can get some strange results. Many poultry specific words are not in the computer translation programs vocabulary, so words are matched to what the computer feels is the most likely in meaning or leaves the word untranslated. There is also the difficulty of grammar, the literal translation of ' la plume de ma tant' is 'the pen of my aunt', not my aunt's pen. Some people insist on a literal translation, and again meaning can be lost or misunderstood.
The point about changes in the English version of the MCF web page is basically due to the fact that most of the French are as conversant with English as most English speakers are with French.
David

How will the APA make sure they get it correct and what is the rush?

Will the standards be posted somewhere for final review and discussion/vote or is this all being decided by one club?

Honestly I think three years is being optimistic, just take a look at the difference in the birds being posted in any of the Marans threads. Is it just me or do they seem to be getting farther from the standard more than a few years ago? If someone mentions they aren't to standard they don't seem to mind that they aren't Marans but call them Marans anyway.

Roosters with straw hackles are being shown and are winning ribbons, I thought this was an automatic disqualification?

What are the APA judges using to judge these shows?

There are a few nice birds being shown but the majority just don't seem to be the same breed or look like what most people have that they are calling Marans.

The APA might just as well add cochin feathered shanks, dark eyes, straw hackles and 90 degree tail sets to go with the majority of what is out there and be done with it.

Quote:

I am still very new to chickens yet alone Marans. Marans was my first choice, and was done not knowing it would still be up in the air with the APA accepting the breed some 2 years later.
As I see it, just like with the Ameraucanas. You have folks ONLY breed for egg color. Forgetin about the looks or confirmation. Then those folks who about the confirmation side. And seem to be loosing ground to the egg color breeders. I feel if you are a judge, you don't want a bunch of scrawny butt birds to judge. And have tons of folks who think their mis colored eyed, miscolored birds are god's gift to the chicken world and are having fits cause their the only one who can see it.
And to be honest unless the breed gets accepted, the breed is all about the egg color. And looks of the bird is a distant care.

Quote:
The Marans people that only care about the color of the egg are the people that have really messed up the Marans by crossing with everything that lays a dark egg.Some of the supposed leaders of the groups trying to get them approved by the APA will tell you they are only interested in egg color. The APA could care less what color of egg they lay on the Marans scale.

I keep reading on different forums about all this crossing that has gone on with Marans but nothing to back it up and it's starting to sound more like sour grapes. Who, what lines to be specific? Other than the Black Coppers probably mixed with Wheatens what are the crosses?

I have all the dark egg laying breeds and none of them lays darker than my Marans, my mossy Marans in with the egg layers to be specific so crossing Marans to any of these breeds, Wellies, Penes etc isn't on my list of things to do.

Bottom line, if the eggs aren't dark it isn't a Marans APA rules and regs or not.

Does the APA have a forum for feedback from breeders before making their decisions or is it all politics and favorites and who gets to them first?

Quote:

chickenherder the APA has ask for input from MOAC and this much can be appreciated. We have submitted our changes on what we thought should be changed and we proposed the changes on almost the same topics you show concerns about. These concerns are legit and you should be concerned about them. Why the rush? That I can't tell you. I do know that APA does feel that it is to soon, but when the proposed club keeps pushing to get them approved then I guess the APA has to take that into consideration when they are up against a qualifying meet.
The thing you are not seeing is consistency in the Black Copper Marans. Here lies the problem. This is why we meed more time. The only reason I mentioned three more years is because when MOAC members showed some marans in April we had only 18 birds. APA did state that they were the most consistent they have seen of one group. But for us to have the numbers we need about 3 more years.
We plan on about 25-30 at the Nov. show.
You must have 50 birds from 5 different breeders whom have been breeding for a number of 2 years. Correct me if I am wrong.
But until the APA decides they are NOT going to accept them under the proposed standards, another club is not allowed to submit a different standard. Maybe one reason for the rush? Proposed standards should never be based on birds............Birds should be based on proposed standards.
Instead the APA decided not to fail them or approve them so again that prevented another club to submit a new standard.
So all MOAC could do is propose changes, which we did. Now it is up to APA to decide weather those changes should be adhered to. If they do.........then you probably won't see an approval. If they don't adhere to them then you probably will see an approval.
I really could care less who gets the approval and that should not be an issue, just as long as it is correct when it is approved. I just hope the revise standards are greatly improved. We only have one shot at this.........take the time it needs to get it right. When in doubt ---be still.

I know that if the standards are approved as is proposed today,there will be twp different types of Marans here in the USA. That's when MOAC will kick into action by NOT having our birds judge by the APA. Why would we just to get them DQ's cause they don't meet APA standards. There's other ways to have French Standards Marans judged and recognized and that's the route we are now looking into for the future.

All I can suggest it writing to the APA and expressing your concerns about this. APA seems to be concerned.

I personally do not want the APA to feel they are in the middle of a crossfire. If the APA was just not humoring MOAC when asked for our changes then maybe they are serious about getting this right the first time. This will prove itself. But I am personally holding APA responsible for getting them right. Not a club. As we all should do.
Regardless MOAC members will strive to work towards the French Standards-APA Ribbonless- but at least there will be some French Standards marans here in the US that will be in the minority but it will be well worth it.

Brenda

Back
Top Bottom