PLEASE HELP INJURED CHICKEN

jknox1982

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
Muscle Shoals AL
I just got 3 young chickens from the local feed and seed. I put them in my 10 by 20 foot run with my older chickens and they all got along great. However I just went out to check on them and they excaped. I managed to catch them however one girl is bleeding and has 2 medium size cuts on her back. Please tell me what to do. I cleaned the cuts with warm water but didn't want to put anything on it until I know what is safe. From looking at it they are not deep cut but enough to make her bleed and I got the bleeding to almost stop
Jenn Knox

Last edited:
Betadine or Hibiclens and water to clean, and after drying, put Neosporin without pain killer on it. BluKote can hide thenwounds from pecking. It takes 1 to 2 weeks behind fencing to safely integrate new chicks, and you will want to be around when the fencing is gone.

Thank you for getting back to me. I found your post about the neosporin and after washing the wounds with warm water I put that on her. She seems to almost be in shock and it makes me nervous I want her to be stress free and comfortable and happy. I took the 3 new babies out of the run with the rest of my girls and have them in a large parrot cage. Tomorrow I will get another large cage and put the wounded bird in by herself. What is blukote? I am new to chickens in the past 5 months. I thought I read enough but I guess not
hit.gif

BluKote comes in a spray or dab-on product at feed stores, and is gentian violet and alcohol. It is used mostly as an antiseptic, but the blue color will keep chickens from pecking the red color of a wound. Plain gentian violet can be found cheaper in the first aid aisle of WalMart. If the chick can see the others it would be best, and getting her back in with the others is also good if they aren't pecking on her. If she is in shock, she may not eat and drink enough--keep an eye on her. Good luck.

dr-naylor-blu-kote-dauber-4-oz-19.jpg

Last edited:
I feed them this morning after changing the bedding and watering and she seems to be eating and drinking and enjoying knocking it over which is funny to me. Its like she was excited to be able to eat while they had food all night.
I will be heading to town today and will pick it up. I have allot of first aid things for my dogs but oddly never thought about the having one for the birds.
I couldn't even sleep last night because I was so nervous something would happen over night. They are on my closed in front porch.

Can I keep them in a extra large tote or is a cage better?

If they are chicks under 6 weeks old, they may some heat with a lamp to keep them warm. I would make sure they are in a predator-proof brooder enclosed at the top so that cats, dogs, rats, possums, snakes, raccoons, or other predators could not get at them. At 2 weeks old, they can jump out of a 2 foot tall brooder, so make sure that you have at least a screen over the top so you don't lose one.

Back
Top Bottom