Please help sex my peafowl!

Cameras can be funny, does your little one by any chance look more orangey in person, than it does in these pics? And I'm leaning toward hen because I cannot see any stripes anywhere on it, and usually you will see faint ones on males.

No. The color in the pics is pretty true. Definitely "tan" colored and not orangey.

BTW - this one lives in our house so far. I don't have any other peafowl and don't have anything that can even be a companion right now. Alone he/she doesn't do well so we are the flock. Has favorite window seats that we keep covered with rags, towels, old pillow cases and just switch them out when dirty. So surprisingly a very good houseguest. :) and no I'm not a crazy poultry person. Just didn't like to see it stressed out until I can get a friend for it.

I thought the ]males had the barred wings and the females are just plain as peahens
1f60a.png

Last edited:
No. The color in the pics is pretty true. Definitely "tan" colored and not orangey.

BTW - this one lives in our house so far. I don't have any other peafowl and don't have anything that can even be a companion right now. Alone he/she doesn't do well so we are the flock. Has favorite window seats that we keep covered with rags, towels, old pillow cases and just switch them out when dirty. So surprisingly a very good houseguest.
smile.png
and no I'm not a crazy poultry person. Just didn't like to see it stressed out until I can get a friend for it.

Yes... I almost had a "house guest" as well, mom rejected it. I found it a home with someone who had some small chicks for companionship, but alas it didn't make it. I am not sure if your chick's Peach Silver Pied father could throw a Cameo or not? My Peach Pied has a definite orange hue, especially noticeable in sunlight.

I thought the ]males had the barred wings and the females are just plain as peahens
1f60a.png
I'm not sure what you are referring to? We have been discussing a Cameo or Peach Pied bird and I said I was leaning toward thinking it is a hen because I CANNOT find stripes, if I could find stripes I would be leaning toward male. Both of yours look like males to me, a lot of stripes on the IB's wings usually means male.

Yes... I almost had a "house guest" as well, mom rejected it. I found it a home with someone who had some small chicks for companionship, but alas it didn't make it. I am not sure if your chick's Peach Silver Pied father could throw a Cameo or not? My Peach Pied has a definite orange hue, especially noticeable in sunlight.
So I took some pics with the flash. Maybe there is some orangey coming in.... I can see if with my eyes too which is why I took different pics.

The third pic from the bottom looks like it is developing some scalloping on the breast and I still don't see any barring, I think hen now. As to color type, I'm still leaning to Cameo but the color doesn't seem right for anything I am familiar with but Cameo is the closest.

I bought these eggs at auction - only one hatched. The male in the pen was a silver pied peach. The females were pied, silver pied, white, and white eyed. She said what she had hatch out of the pen earlier in the year were pied, white, peach, white eyes, silver pied, and India blue.

That's tough, I just got a little hen that was either Cameo Pied or Peach Pied and the general consensus on here was that she is a Peach Pied. Yours and mine look very similar in coloring. Peach is a Sex-Linked color, which means the only Peaches coming out of that pen should be females. And there shouldn't be any Cameos I don't think. However, your bird looks male to me as well, can you post pics of the chest feathers and maybe on looking down on it's back se we can look for striping on the back and wings?

So I took some pics with the flash. Maybe there is some orangey coming in.... I can see if with my eyes too which is why I took different pics.

Hmmm, definitely way beyond my level, not an expert, but wondering a couple of things... The birds in the pen where the eggs were laid included a silver pied peach male (so all offspring should have gotten a "peach" gene from dad, and all the hen chicks should have shown as "peach"), and various hens that were white, pied, silver pied and white eyed...

Do we know what the base color was of any of the hens? As in pied what? IB? Peach? Some other color? If there was a peach pied hen or a peach silver pied hen, there could be male peach chicks also, right? Or if the white hen was carrying a concealed peach gene? Or maybe there was a cameo hen?

Also, now I'm totally speculating, but it's another question I've been wondering about for awhile, so maybe someone can 'splain this to me...

Couple of things... First, peach, purple and cameo are all sex-linked genes, that's a for sure. Second, white and pied genes are alleles, but we don't know for sure if any other genes are alleles, right?

Next, I've seen it opined here on BYC (and maybe elsewhere?
old.gif
Having a senior moment...) that peach results (or resulted from) a cross of purple and cameo. But I don't know if that has been verified, or is just a thought????

So to what extent, if any, are purple, peach and cameo alleles, or carried in related places on the sex chromosomes? What happens when peaches, purples and cameos are interbred? If peach really is a result of purple crossed with cameo, can it be uncrossed? Can a peach throw purple and cameo chicks, or only peach? Was peach a "one time" mutation, or is it something that requires having a purple gene plus a cameo gene? Are any of them recessive to another? Alleles? Can a male be peach split purple or purple split peach? Can a male have two purple genes and two peach genes? And two cameo genes?

Okay, maybe these are all just stupid questions and I just should do more reading
lau.gif
But you gotta love the mystery of it all
caf.gif

Hmmm, definitely way beyond my level, not an expert, but wondering a couple of things... The birds in the pen where the eggs were laid included a silver pied peach male (so all offspring should have gotten a "peach" gene from dad, and all the hen chicks should have shown as "peach"), and various hens that were white, pied, silver pied and white eyed...

Do we know what the base color was of any of the hens? As in pied what? IB? Peach? Some other color? If there was a peach pied hen or a peach silver pied hen, there could be male peach chicks also, right? Or if the white hen was carrying a concealed peach gene? Or maybe there was a cameo hen?

Also, now I'm totally speculating, but it's another question I've been wondering about for awhile, so maybe someone can 'splain this to me...

Couple of things... First, peach, purple and cameo are all sex-linked genes, that's a for sure. Second, white and pied genes are alleles, but we don't know for sure if any other genes are alleles, right?

Next, I've seen it opined here on BYC (and maybe elsewhere?
old.gif
Having a senior moment...) that peach results (or resulted from) a cross of purple and cameo. But I don't know if that has been verified, or is just a thought????

So to what extent, if any, are purple, peach and cameo alleles, or carried in related places on the sex chromosomes? What happens when peaches, purples and cameos are interbred? If peach really is a result of purple crossed with cameo, can it be uncrossed? Can a peach throw purple and cameo chicks, or only peach? Was peach a "one time" mutation, or is it something that requires having a purple gene plus a cameo gene? Are any of them recessive to another? Alleles? Can a male be peach split purple or purple split peach? Can a male have two purple genes and two peach genes? And two cameo genes?

Okay, maybe these are all just stupid questions and I just should do more reading
lau.gif
But you gotta love the mystery of it all
caf.gif

Yes, all females should come out Peach, and I do think that it is proven that Peach is a result of Purple and Cameo. I think the unknown is why they blended, usually you cross a Purple and Cameo and all females come out the color of the father while all males come out IB split to either Purple or Cameo. What caused the 2 to blend? I think I was told that Cameo will be dominant over Peach when I was discussing my Peaches father, he is a Cameo Pied WE split to Peach. I too am wondering if the Peach can "uncross" as you called it, if so they should be able to throw out a Cameo or Purple. The Mystery and the Headache of it all!

Back
Top Bottom