Please Help! Young quail with infected toe

CloneFly

Never say Never
Premium Feather Member
Mar 8, 2022
Good evening,
I had rescued a male Coturnix quail on Sunday afternoon; originally he only had a head/eye injury, but come Monday morning his left toe on the left leg and right toe on the right leg were swollen and bleeding through the skin. The tip of the left toe is now shriveling and black while the toe beside it is beginning to fester as well. I've tried cleaning the wounds with diluted hydrogen peroxide, applying neo-poly bacitracin ointment on the wounds along with lanolin 30% but nothing seems to work. I've called around but no vets are available to see him. The female I rescued with him is fine. The male is still eating/drinking, and his stool is fine. Before Monday, he was also actively trying to mate with the female. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to further treat him? Or at least what could be causing this festering? Thank you all in advance.
20221026_132733.jpg
20221026_132723.jpg
20221026_132718.jpg
20221026_132752.jpg

What is your location? Is col or frostbite a possibility? You can clean the wound with Betadine or chlorhexidene twice a day. The black parts may fall off eventually.
I live in SoCal, so the evenings usually don't drop lower than 45° this time of year, so I don't believe it's frostbite... but I could be wrong. I'll use betadine to clean the wounds. Should I give or do anything else for him?

I live in SoCal, so the evenings usually don't drop lower than 45° this time of year, so I don't believe it's frostbite... but I could be wrong. I'll use betadine to clean the wounds. Should I give or do anything else for him?
Just watch to see that he's eating/drinking his normal feed o.k. and that the female is not picking at his injured toe. Sometimes the females can be a bit rough on the males.

You mention he had a head and eye injury - has that cleared up?

Clean dry bedding will be helpful in the healing process too.

Just watch to see that he's eating/drinking his normal feed o.k. and that the female is not picking at his injured toe. Sometimes the females can be a bit rough on the males.

You mention he had a head and eye injury - has that cleared up?

Clean dry bedding will be helpful in the healing process too.
Yes the eye and head is clearing up nicely. I've currently seperated him from the female since she was picking at the toe a bit. So far he's been eating and drinking fine so I have my fingers crossed 🤞

Glad that it was just pecking injury and not frostbite. Hopefully, he will continue to heal with the betadine. Sometimes soaking the feet in warm water or Epsom salts for 15-20 minutes can help with healing. But it should be done in a warm area, and then dry his legs well.

Back
Top Bottom