Ponape chicken eggs

bandbaustin

Crowing
13 Years
May 21, 2009
Valparaiso, IN
I have a dozen "ponape" South American chickens eggs for sale. $75 includes shipping. Ships from northwest indiana near Chicago.

The Ponape (Saudeleur line) is a Micronesian Gamefowl descended of the Violaceous Junglefowl (Gallus violacea Gould)and Austronesian Fighting Game. The Ponape is a wild race, completely naturalized as a feral bird in the interior island of Ponape (Pohnpei).
Trapped by the islanders for their beautiful plumage, they are prized in Micronesian villages on the coasts.

This is an unusually graceful, light-weight breed, more junglefowl than chicken. The crow is pleasant and multi syllabic but the birds are not particularly vocal.

Many birds are black boned and hence invaluable for selection breeders using their genetic stock for the creation of Cemani.

Here is an article about Rapanui (the category that Ponape fall into) from last year:
some of the pictures in the article are from my stock...
http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/13E06A05.p

Attachments

• 20190602_194341.jpg
    20190602_194341.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 20190602_194356.jpg
    20190602_194356.jpg
    965.5 KB · Views: 113
Don't have any breeding groups at this time...
One day I'll do some digging to find who has eggs...
The genetics are out there.
Chickens are wonderful and the diversity is important to the future of chicken an man alike.
One day we may depend on them for our survival as we once did long ago.
A good steward is not just worried about the cute little tufts on their chickies cheeks, but guarding that bottle necked genetics don't spell the ruin of one of humanities most valuable companion. The chicken.

I have a question about egg color to anyone who knows. Do the Ponape always lay tinted eggs? I have one pullet I bought as a Ponape who lays a bluish green egg! Would that be evidence she is not pure, or is the blue egg color in the Ponape gene pool?

Back
Top Bottom