poorly chick?

jool88

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 4, 2014
wolverhampton
Help is my chick ill?
I have a 10 day old chick who has really smelly poo , it also looks like it wants to have a poo, its little tail is bobbing up and down like when they go to the loo,I have only had it from the farm 2 days , however we did have to bathe its vent as it had a lump of hard poo stuck there , it is eating , but im worried please advise thanks

It sounds dehydrated and constipated. Keep the vent open; I like to hold it under gently running warm water to get the poop off. Put a little grease of some sort on the vent after cleaning so the next poop won't stick so bafd (Vaseline, veggie oil, Neosporin, etc.) Be sure it's not too warm, it needs to be able to move away from the heat if it wants, and figure out a way to have fresh water vavilable all the time -- which can be a real challenge when they keep kicking the shavings into the water. Try offering a little moistened chick feed, maybe in your plam to tame it, for the extra fluid. If you have yogurt, it can help to moisten the feed with this instead of water. Hopefully it will recover in a couple of days.

Thanks for the help just going to get a plain yogurt I have put some vaseline on its all clean now , I have a thermometer in the coup so temp is fine it has a wire run attatched too so plenty off places to cool off , they are sharing the conservatory with us at the moment so I can keep a close eye and make sure its drinking , its just non of the other chicks smell like this one so I know its not well , fingers crossed .

Back
Top Bottom