Positioning eggs in incubator

I'm confused! the booklet that I got with my incubator says position eggs pointy end up to hatch. I have read pointy end down. Which is correct?

A year late but....
Its pointy end down during incubation (in GQF trays) and lay eggs on thier side when hatching in a hatcher on racks. If you dont have a hatcher and leaving them in the tray.... its still pointy end down.

If laying them on their sides...Leave some space with each row so they can break out of the fat end of the shell. Nothing like trying to open a door for the first time and something is blocking it ("""another dang egg"""")
Better a late response than none at all

This is my first round of eggs in the incubator. I have them on an automatic turner pointy side down. Is there a certain way to put them in the incubator. Like do I need to stagger them spaces apart or keep them close together? We just did our second round of candling and we have 16 EEs that's are growing great!

This is my first round of eggs in the incubator. I have them on an automatic turner pointy side down. Is there a certain way to put them in the incubator. Like do I need to stagger them spaces apart or keep them close together? We just did our second round of candling and we have 16 EEs that's are growing great!
If the eggs are doing fine then leave them be. Take the turner out on lockdown (day 18) and lay the eggs on their sides for hatching. Watch your humidity after the first external pip and make sure it is nice and high, around 65%. Good luck. You might want to start a new thread if you have more questions about your hatch. This thread is about a year old.

If the eggs are doing fine then leave them be. Take the turner out on lockdown (day 18) and lay the eggs on their sides for hatching. Watch your humidity after the first external pip and make sure it is nice and high, around 65%. Good luck. You might want to start a new thread if you have more questions about your hatch. This thread is about a year old.
Thank you!

What I was referring to was the lock down phase in which many people will take the eggs out of the turner trays and lay the eggs on their sides 3-4 days prior to piping and hatching. You dont want the eggs laying flat and touching at 4 points (R&L sides and Pointy and Fat ends back to back side to side) .
On the fat end you should leave space so that the chick will have room to zip and push the fat end of the zipped shell outward (like a hinged cooking pot lid) so that it can escape easily. If the eggs are touching on the ends (not the sides) then it is like blocking their exit! Sure some or allot will make it out but your hatch will be better and quicker if they have room to open the door and escape.

Back
Top Bottom