Post Pics of your Leghorns

Chicksn Coffee my leghorn, Foggy, is about the same age as yours. They could be twins(err...triplets). She is very aloof, and a great FLYER! Once I catch her she likes to sit on my lap and eat a couple of mealworms.

Here's a newer picture of a few of my leghorn ladies and my new welsummer girls hangin out in the pen. I'm excited to see how their eggs eet each others off in the carton and will trade a few next door for some olive eggs
smile.png

Hi Brandychick! My flock started out with 6 week old chicks. When they were around 11 weeks, I rescued two pullets the same age. One was a WL, and the other a Welsummer. Foggy, and Miss Prissy are best friends, and sleep side by side in the coop. They are all 15 weeks now, and I am waiting patiently for my first egg.

D.gif
No kidding Giannini! She flew up to the limb of the neighbors tree about 12 feet up! so impressive. Our other girls ( production reds) do not even come close...
Love our girls!

I have some silver leghorns. They are supposed to both be hens. They definitely both stated out looking identical but as they are growing their colorations are changing and one definitely has a more prominent comb than the other. Coloration differs from the cape down.

Legs are yellow, more yellow on the suspected cockerel - if that helps. No signs of spurs yet.

Any leghorn experts out there - can you help me? Is one of these a cockerel.
Please help. I have my fingers crossed that one is a cockerel and will become a rooster.

Thanks!

Silver leghorns (pullet at front, possible cockerel at the back - comb is much more visible, sizable and vibrant colored)
the 2 black pullets are Australorps. The brown one in the middle is an unknown mix (wellsummer mix possibly)

2 silver leghorns side by side (The mystery chicken again, the dark brown one closest to the front of the pic)
Possible Cockerel is the one w the comb looking towards the camera.

I believe this is the female (pullet). Her belly feathers are uniform color, while the other one is mottled (splotchy white patches)

another view of the the young ones all together, just hanging out.

Last edited:
@KMilaniA male silver leghorn is supposed to have a solid black breast.

If the breast is growing in as solid black, or close, then I would say male.

If the breast is anything else.... Silvery or pale peach like, I would say it is a girl.

Last edited:
Why does some white leghorns have yellow legs and some have white?All my hens have white and I just purchased a nice roosters but h:/e as yellow. :/

Leghorns are supposed to have bright yellow legs..... Some however do not meet the standard.... So their breeding isn't as good as we would like..

Other hens with excellent breeding and BORN with bright yellow legs start to loose the bright yellow color after a couple of years of heavy egg production.

The hens that have lost the bright yellow due to lots of egg laying can regain the bright yellow legs with a diet boost. Carrots help lots.

Back
Top Bottom