post your chicken coop pictures here!

My coop's almost done! I've got the hardware mesh and surrounding pavers. But I'm still too scared my doberman pup is gonna get in. She's definitely trying! They will spend most of the day alone together in the yard so the dog needs to lay off and the coop needs to be safe! It's gonna have to happen because I can't have 7 chickens in my bathroom much longer! Any advice?

My coop's almost done! I've got the hardware mesh and surrounding pavers. But I'm still too scared my doberman pup is gonna get in. She's definitely trying! They will spend most of the day alone together in the yard so the dog needs to lay off and the coop needs to be safe! It's gonna have to happen because I can't have 7 chickens in my bathroom much longer! Any advice?

Surround the coop area with an few strands of electric wire, one wire at 6" above the ground an another at say 12" and another at say 18" spaced off the coop fence by about 3" should discourage most dogs and even most predators...

Yep One good fido shock charger will condition your dog to stay clear.... I had a Boston who was an escape artist shed hit the fence running till she reached the top and could hook her front paws over... setting the electric just above where she would hit the fence It took only two zaps.... she was done messin with getting over.

Though from the picture of the yard you have children... if they are little its probably not a good idea....

deb

Though from the picture of the yard you have children...  if they are little its probably not a good idea.... 

I guess it all depends on your upbringing, farmers don't take down their hot fences when they have kids, instead they tell the kids 'don't touch' and when the kids don't listen (I know I didn't, heck my friends and I would take bets on who could hold on the longest) they will learn that hard way just as fast as the dog does...

Quote:
from about six on I could expect to explain... but under that I wouldnt want to have them experience it. As an adult have been shocked many times reaching over to pet my horse or someone elses.... Zapped under the armpit is not a good feeling plus you wind up zapping what ever you are touching... Namely the horse. but as an adult I know what it is and have the reactions to back off

I admit a fido shock isnt as much voltage as a horse charger but dang thats an aweful feeling.... and a little one might go down and fall on the hot wire...

Nope I wouldnt do the farmer thing.... in this case.

deb

deb

I lived in a neighborhood like that a few years back (one yard wildly overgrown with blackberries). I ended up buying a Rat Zapper. It worked SOOOOOOOOOOOO well! Not cheap, but endlessly reusable and worked for both rats and mice.
I use a tom cat for that. The only trouble is, he is a great hunter. When I free range, I have to make sure he is locked up. When my wife made the mistake of letting him out, he made a B-line for the biggest bird meal he ever saw, and I had to run him off before he could pounce. He had his feelings hurt for awhile but came back later.

It ain't pretty but except for some electric fencing to be added, this is the final product.

I think its beautiful and functional. lots of space to get around in and out of the elements I only have one wall in my old coop but its about the same depth and length. mine is coming down and getting moved... then I will have three walls and a roof too... sigh one day.

I see you are in florida.... do you have mosquito issues? I know lots of people screen in their pool areas...

deb

Back
Top Bottom