Poulin Grain??

Poulin is a good feed. I used it for a while until I switched only because I now go to a feed store closer to me that carries a different brand.

Poulin has a good turkey/gamebird starter that I still will buy in the fall to add to my girls feed during their molt.

Thanks for info on it! That's good to know it's a good feed and makes me feel better ha :)

I'll keep the gamebird feed in mind too for fall

Wow really? That's so interesting.

Now I'm confused and conflicted on what to do because I've heard it's bad but also now good
I think the soy thing is a correlation rather than causation. People eating soy tend to eat other healthier foods too. I avoid soy like the plague except I'll have some fermented natto once in a blue moon for the vitamin K2. Soy is loaded with phytoestrogens which can increase breast cancer risk in women and give men more feminine characteristics.

I think the soy thing is a correlation rather than causation. People eating soy tend to eat other healthier foods too. I avoid soy like the plague except I'll have some fermented natto once in a blue moon for the vitamin K2. Soy is loaded with phytoestrogens which can increase breast cancer risk in women and give men more feminine characteristics.
This I will disagree with. As a person who eats soy and has had an estrogen based cancer the belief that soy mimics estrogen isn't true. Plant based components aren't the same as animal based. I eat soy without fear because it isn't true. If it was it would have put an end to these dang hot flashes.

Back to the topic of feed though...

I don't think soy-based feed is that bad. I remember reading a blog post from Mark Sisson about this a few years ago. I'll have to see if I can find it. The soy-fed hens had higher amounts of the soy found in the yolks, but it paled in comparison to that found in soy products. I believe he was more concerned about the excessive omega-6 PUFAs in the feed rather than the soy. Most soy-free feeds have a lot of corn in them anyway. If you're going the lower O-6 route you'll want something without corn and soy as a base and higher in omega 3's and 9's.

I actually give my birds the soy feed for their ferment. The dry pellets (which they eat little of) is the soy-free layer feed from Green Mountain Feeds. I'd love to make a feed minimizing the O-6 content, but it's too cost prohibitive for me right now to make up my own feed. I give them some occasional coconut and sardines to lean the yolk nutrient profile more where I want it.

Last edited:
Anybody have experience with Poulin Grain?

Our local feed store switched to this brand recently.

I didn't know that because I haven't been there in a few months cause I was buying Flock Raiser from TSC for winter so I go back to buy Hearty Hen from Nutrena and they tell me.

They say it's just as good or better than Hearty Hen and a family friend (who happens to be the manager there) feeds it to his chickens and the eggs are great so I decided to try it. Looking at the bag, it does look just as good. 18 percent protein, soy free, similar price, everything I want lol

But I'm more just looking for opinions or personal experience.

It's called Egg Production Plus.

Here's the bag.

It's milled in Newport, VT not 30 minutes from where I currently live. I like it. It's a long time family run mill. If your read the tags of a lot of their poultry products you'll be seeing the same thing. I honestly believe they've one mix for over 50% of products and use different bags as people "feel" they need a special blend for this bird. It's funny as I agree with Poulin and use Turkey finisher for my all flock feed in pellet form. 20% protein and in pellet. When we have chicks the entire flock goes to non medicated chick starter/grower which is 20% protein and in crumble form. And of course if you read the label on meat bird bags it's 20% protein....LOL

I like the feed.

Back
Top Bottom