Poultry chat

I would not pay it either. Ill take it all day long from lazy hipsters who live in the city, and don't want to wait 6-7 months for eggs. I had some young couple drive out of Austin and give me $80 for three RIR.

I would not feed a hen for 6 months, then sell it for $10 I'd rather eat it.

really? if we're just talking a standard laying breed there's no way I'd pay over $10 for it.

When taking into consideration the time invested by the breeder (time is calculated as money too), equipment (or broodies) used to hatch, the brooder expense of raising/feeding hatchlings, the utility bills (water and electricity) for housing, poultry maintenance/cleaning products, feed bills, and NPIP status, it is not outlandish at all to give the rancher $20 or $30 for a laying hen no matter what breed. Rare breeds should be even more. If your pocketbook can't handle the fair price for an established laying pullet than my feeling is you probably won't invest in the proper housing and feed to take care of those birds properly either. JMHO

I've got right around 200 birds on my farm, all fed and housed properly. I've never paid more than $10 for an adult chicken and I'd never dream of advertising one for more than that. now this is not my career, it's a hobby. and I'd never take the time to calculate my costs. but please don't assume I'm not taking proper care of my birds. the price difference may also be a regional thing.

I think what people are trying to say is it's not Crazy to ask 20 bucks for a laying hen cause most people probably have 50 dollars in feed In a hen by the time it's grown and after u add the time it takes a breeder to feed them and also housing isn't cheap either it costed me Close to 400 to build the last pen i built i mostly sell just chicks now cause grown birds most people can't make there money back

I've got right around 200 birds on my farm, all fed and housed properly. I've never paid more than $10 for an adult chicken and I'd never dream of advertising one for more than that. now this is not my career, it's a hobby. and I'd never take the time to calculate my costs. but please don't assume I'm not taking proper care of my birds. the price difference may also be a regional thing.

I figured the cost for care would rile a few feathers but it was meant to make buyers think about the time and cost that goes into raising layers. When I buy sexed pullets I always give the breeder more than they are asking because I know the time and money they have spent to raise poultry. It's the same reason I would rather see a rancher eat his own cockerels after spending money to raise them rather than give away a free meal to someone else!

I would not feed a hen for 6 months, then sell it for $10 I'd rather eat it.
really? if we're just talking a standard laying breed there's no way I'd pay over $10 for it.
I have some nice non-hatchery Faverolles. Last time I tried to sell pullets most people were no-shows. Then those that did bother to show up weren't willing to pay even $10 for a decent quality 6 month old Faverolles pullet just coming into lay. So I butchered them.

I don't even bother to list pullets these days. Whatever doesn't go into the breeding pen, pullet or cockerel, goes to the freezer. Except for the occasional kids' favorite that goes to the layer flock.

how much are you guys selling eggs for? I get $2 a doz but it's a tough sell because you can get eggs at the local grocery store for 79 cents a dozen, even less when there's a sale

I figured the cost for care would rile a few feathers but it was meant to make buyers think about the time and cost that goes into raising layers.  When I buy sexed pullets I always give the breeder more than they are asking because I know the time and money they have spent to raise poultry.  It's the same reason I would rather see a rancher eat his own cockerels after spending money to raise them rather than give away a free meal to someone else! 

I do hatch eggs and raise chicks, even chickens that I raised from the start I wouldn't dream of asking more than $5 or $10, I just don't think they're worth it. again I'm not doing this for an income and that might be a difference also.

I definitely don't sell chickens to make money. If you check craigslist austin texas $20 is the going rate for laying hens. 90% of the people who have bought birds from me, want chickens because their neighbors chickens just started laying. They usually want chicks. When I explain to them they are going to have to build a brooder, purchase a heat source, protect and feed the chicks for 6 months, commen sense tells them to buy laying hens. Because I don't advertise my chicks or chickens for sale, they already trust me, they got my number from someone who already purchased birds from me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom