Pretty sure I'm getting scammed by an eBay seller.

Tankueray

Bird Nerd
Feb 12, 2021
West Texas
I won an auction for 6 Ayam Ketawa eggs last night. The seller appeared to have good feedback and is located in OK. They had the normal blurbs in their description about not being responsible for USPS delays or mishandling, hatch not guaranteed, etc. Although it did seem a little harsh, it was pretty on par with other egg sellers, so I didn't think anything of it. Estimated delivery was next Tuesday, but that's eBay's calculation, so I also had no problem there either. As soon as I won and paid, I sent a message as requested by the seller to give my phone number and ask the PO to hold for pickup. I also asked if they'd ship out Monday, right? (It's Easter weekend, I'd like them to ship out Monday so they're not stuck in a warehouse or on a truck. From their location to mine, it's a max 2 day shipment, sometimes even one day.) Thus far, I wasn't concerned about anything....

I get a response about 30 min. later that says, "USPS has really went down hill, you pay for 2 to 3 day shipping, but it don't normally happen." and telling me that I'll get it probably on Tuesday, along with letting them sit for 12-24 hours before incubation*. No offer nor even acknowledgement of the request to hold it. My response: "So you're not going to wait until Monday? That will significantly reduce the viability of the embryos to sit in USPS warehouses over the weekend." Their response came this morning: "They don't set in the ware houses all weekend, they will be in transit."

(*They'll already be at least 5 days old when I get them, and they told me to leave them out for another 2 days?)

What?

(Even going from them to OKC to Dallas to me with all the processing and distribution center stops along the way is not even 8 hours worth of road time. If it was shipped Monday morning, there's still a real chance I'd get it Tuesday, but definitely Wednesday.)

Now, I thought that I sent a response to that saying that I've actually been to the warehouses (processing centers) and that I was surprised at their lack of concern or acknowledgement of my request to hold until Monday, but it doesn't seem to be found in my app, email, or the desktop, so maybe it didn't go through (I was using the app). And during the writing of that response, I got a pop-up that the package had been received by the originating post office.

Am I getting screwed by someone not selling legitimate eggs? I mean, it doesn't really seem like they have the ethics of someone breeding rare birds. It also seems like a good scam, considering that there are so few eggs in the auction, shipped eggs often don't hatch well, and neither do the rarer breeds. How many sellers are doing that I wonder?

If you want to know who it is, they have an auction up right now. Just look for that breed in that location, you can't miss it.

Also, anyone that has bonafide Ayam Ketawas, could you post pictures of the eggs so I have some reference to compare them to when they get here? It would be awesome if anyone also has some data on size and weight that they've logged as well.

... letting them sit for 12-24 hours before incubation*.

(*They'll already be at least 5 days old when I get them, and they told me to leave them out for another 2 days?)

Minor math error: That's not 2 days.

12 hours is all day or all night, 24 hours is one day and one night.

I have read that shipped eggs hatch better if you let them settle like that before incubating, so the seller is probably right about that.

I don't know about the rest of it.

6 egg auctions seem pretty common on eBay. To my knowledge, USPS does still ship mail on Sunday’s, just the post offices are not open to the public. Don’t know how a holiday weekend works into that however. I’ve received eggs that old and they still started to develop. Last year I did let them sit 12-24 hours, but the 2 batches I got this year so far I put in after only several hours. Most did at least start developing. A scam is always possible, but I’m thinking they’re legit but didn’t listen to your request for a Monday shipment. They are probably interested in churning out rare breed egg sales for profit rather than breeding, but that’s the feeling I get from many eBay sellers.

Minor math error: That's not 2 days.

12 hours is all day or all night, 24 hours is one day and one night.

I have read that shipped eggs hatch better if you let them settle like that before incubating, so the seller is probably right about that.

I don't know about the rest of it.
Lol, hangry mistake, you are correct. 😖

They do need to settle after shipping, that is true, but the point I was trying to make was that the absolute freshest they could be is gathered this morning, before they went to the post office at 9am. So laid last night/this morning is day 1; next Tuesday is day 5. Letting them rest puts me around day 6. If they're stored at 65ish degrees until incubation, I believe 7 days is the absolute longest they should be considered viable. And I could've even been cool with that if the seller would have stored them and waited until Monday to ship. We're not expecting hot weather, it's kind of cold today even, but when I went out to one of my sheds earlier, it was probably 80 degrees in there. If that box ends up in a parked truck at any time in the next few days, or gets handled extra rough on Monday because of trying to catch up from the holiday, it'll be the most expensive egg salad I'll ever make.

I won an auction for 6 Ayam Ketawa eggs last night. The seller appeared to have good feedback and is located in OK. They had the normal blurbs in their description about not being responsible for USPS delays or mishandling, hatch not guaranteed, etc. Although it did seem a little harsh, it was pretty on par with other egg sellers, so I didn't think anything of it. Estimated delivery was next Tuesday, but that's eBay's calculation, so I also had no problem there either. As soon as I won and paid, I sent a message as requested by the seller to give my phone number and ask the PO to hold for pickup. I also asked if they'd ship out Monday, right? (It's Easter weekend, I'd like them to ship out Monday so they're not stuck in a warehouse or on a truck. From their location to mine, it's a max 2 day shipment, sometimes even one day.) Thus far, I wasn't concerned about anything....

I get a response about 30 min. later that says, "USPS has really went down hill, you pay for 2 to 3 day shipping, but it don't normally happen." and telling me that I'll get it probably on Tuesday, along with letting them sit for 12-24 hours before incubation*. No offer nor even acknowledgement of the request to hold it. My response: "So you're not going to wait until Monday? That will significantly reduce the viability of the embryos to sit in USPS warehouses over the weekend." Their response came this morning: "They don't set in the ware houses all weekend, they will be in transit."

What?

(Even going from them to OKC to Dallas to me with all the processing and distribution center stops along the way is not even 8 hours worth of road time. If it was shipped Monday morning, there's still a real chance I'd get it Tuesday, but definitely Wednesday.)

Now, I thought that I sent a response to that saying that I've actually been to the warehouses (processing centers) and that I was surprised at their lack of concern or acknowledgement of my request to hold until Monday, but it doesn't seem to be found in my app, email, or the desktop, so maybe it didn't go through (I was using the app). And during the writing of that response, I got a pop-up that the package had been received by the originating post office.

Am I getting screwed by someone not selling legitimate eggs? I mean, it doesn't really seem like they have the ethics of someone breeding rare birds. It also seems like a good scam, considering that there are so few eggs in the auction, shipped eggs often don't hatch well, and neither do the rarer breeds. How many sellers are doing that I wonder?

If you want to know who it is, they have an auction up right now. Just look for that breed in that location, you can't miss it.
Seems ,like your getting scammed I bet the person selling is laughing right now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom