Production Reds

I have a couple production hens that hang with me when I am out in their pen or nesting area. They'll jump up on the little boards I have for them to get inside their nest and just nosey around to see what I am up to. Got very sweet temperaments.

I have a question, I gave someone some eggs from my pro RIRs, they wanted to set them. Out of 18 eggs ONLY 6 were fertile. :( I gave them 18 more and waiting to see IF these are that bad as well. IF they are he's probably going in the pot. I have some extra heritage RIR roos and hubby says to me, I don't know WHY you don't put one of those with the pro hens and get rid of Cackles (that's the pro rir's name) I actually wonder sometimes IF he is off his rocker because of the way he acts, he doesn't shut up so therefore the name Cackles. Wouldn't that mess up the breeding of the pro rir for laying if I put the heritage rir roo in with them? Their chicks would be 1/2 n 1/2. Just curious. WONDERING if anyone has tried this? I really rather not have to buy yet ANOTHER pro rir roo. ugh I'm VERY funny about bringing in chickens with mine due to them being sick or something. I've only bought 3 pro roos last year and choice Cackles out of those 3 because he was a smaller roo than the other two. They stay quarantined for 3 months before I chose one to put in with the girls.

Last edited:
I have a question, I gave someone some eggs from my pro RIRs, they wanted to set them. Out of 18 eggs ONLY 6 were fertile. :( I gave them 18 more and waiting to see IF these are that bad as well. IF they are he's probably going in the pot. I have some extra heritage RIR roos and hubby says to me, I don't know WHY you don't put one of those with the pro hens and get rid of Cackles (that's the pro rir's name) I actually wonder sometimes IF he is off his rocker because of the way he acts, he doesn't shut up so therefore the name Cackles. Wouldn't that mess up the breeding of the pro rir for laying if I put the heritage rir roo in with them? Their chicks would be 1/2 n 1/2. Just curious. WONDERING if anyone has tried this? I really rather not have to buy yet ANOTHER pro rir roo. ugh I'm VERY funny about bringing in chickens with mine due to them being sick or something. I've only bought 3 pro roos last year and choice Cackles out of those 3 because he was a smaller roo than the other two. They stay quarantined for 3 months before I chose one to put in with the girls. 

How well do your Heritage RIR lay?

There is a difference between hatchery RIR and ProReds.

New questions: I have Prod. Red chicks w/ RIR & Isa Browns, pair of each. Maybe a roo in the Prod. Red pair, I hope.
I have a 4 hen hutch that has SEEN Better DAYS, otherwise everyone is free range, 24/7. (WILL let the Dogs out EARLY to keep predators Hungry, THIS year, gggrrrrrr) It sounds like they are good layers, but how are the Roos? I have a mini Bantam Roo that keeps a half an eye out, but not worth much.
Are Prod Red Roos nasty? Are they good Roos or is it hit and miss?
Thanks,
C.~

I wanted to share my Production Red girls. I think they are about 8 weeks or so. I am a first time chicken owner and I enjoy them so much!!!

General Tso:

Sesame:

Kung Pao:

Sweet n Sour:

Last edited:
I wanted to share my Production Red girls. I think they are about 8 weeks or so. I am a first time chicken owner and I enjoy them so much!!!

Generl Tso:

Sesame:

Kung Pao:

Sweet n Sour:

ADORABLE! Caught my P reds, RIRs, UNDER the hen hutch, after I leaned a board agains the back side. Maybe New Nesting spot? The P reds DO seem to go along with the ride, not cause trouble or not as pushy, as RIRs. Poor White cornish is a loner now, no sister, so gets picked on. Course, she MAY get more treats Nowadays, too
D.gif
Be ready. About the time mine were that age, they grew FAST!

Last edited:
I am trying to identify this chicken. It was bought from a local store and all she remembers is that it is a cross. I have been told it could be a Production Red and also an ISA Browns cross. What are your thoughts?

She is about 8 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom