PRODUCTION Toulouse Geese Thread!!

Probably so but you know how it is when one of your kids gets a boo boo.
A BYC member and friend asked me if I wanted to buy her Blue American gander oh how I wish I could , know anyone in Tenn who maybe interested?
Wish I did but to my knowledge I don't know a soul in TN. Wish it was closer to West Texas. Sounds like a potential match for my Pauline. Sting and Lydia were at it this a.m. in the pool. We got one of the "ain't I just the greatest" honks from Sting when it was all over and done with. It is December so I guess it is o.k. for them to start. But our coldest part of the year is still to come. Since this will be their first year/eggs when the time comes I may take up the first eggs...especially if they are smaller. That should be o.k. don't you think? What do you suppose the children of a Blue American and a Toulouse would look like?

Wish I did but to my knowledge I don't know a soul in TN. Wish it was closer to West Texas. Sounds like a potential match for my Pauline. Sting and Lydia were at it this a.m. in the pool. We got one of the "ain't I just the greatest" honks from Sting when it was all over and done with. It is December so I guess it is o.k. for them to start. But our coldest part of the year is still to come. Since this will be their first year/eggs when the time comes I may take up the first eggs...especially if they are smaller. That should be o.k. don't you think? What do you suppose the children of a Blue American and a Toulouse would look like?
I think that would be a lovely pairing. Sam and my Buff are still mating of and on not like when they first started but I think that's mainly because Toots has wised up and realizes she can get out of the pool if she's not in the mood. Now Babe will still bite at Sam and nip at his feathers like she is saying come on but when he tries they just go round and round. so not sure what to think about that unless Babe is a gander but she doesn't do this to Toots and Missy when they are in the pool with her. So confusing . LOL
I sure wish I knew of someone that could take that gander I hate to think he may end up on the Christmas platter. or killed by her dogs.
sad.png

What a beautiful day it has turned out to be. So nice after all the bad weather we have had over the past couple of weeks. Highs in the mid-70's so everyone got lots of water to splash around in. Even the chickens went wading a bit. The geese got an entire head of lettuce, three ears of fresh corn on the cob and their regular feed and grazing. The ducks got three pool change outs and a big bag of thawed peas. I think they like the muddy ground as much or more than they like their nice clean pool. The chickens got 2 pounds of raw hamburger meat as a protein boost to help with their molting. They all think they got up this a.m. in another more wounderful world. Me thinks I might spoil them all a bit much!

What a beautiful day it has turned out to be. So nice after all the bad weather we have had over the past couple of weeks. Highs in the mid-70's so everyone got lots of water to splash around in. Even the chickens went wading a bit. The geese got an entire head of lettuce, three ears of fresh corn on the cob and their regular feed and grazing. The ducks got three pool change outs and a big bag of thawed peas. I think they like the muddy ground as much or more than they like their nice clean pool. The chickens got 2 pounds of raw hamburger meat as a protein boost to help with their molting. They all think they got up this a.m. in another more wounderful world. Me thinks I might spoil them all a bit much!
Boy do you ever, been a while since I gave any of mine corn on the cob, I'd have to sneak it dh would be out there taking it from them. Lettuce they get often and cabbage, kale, collards but they only get dried whole corn, I'll try to sneak some out for them next time I shop.
My poor ducks haven't had peas in ages even though I have 2 3lb bags in the freezer. poor things.
Wow 70's aww sounds lovely even 53 was nice.
smile.png
you have a wading pool for your chickens? lol

Boy do you ever, been a while since I gave any of mine corn on the cob, I'd have to sneak it dh would be out there taking it from them. Lettuce they get often and cabbage, kale, collards but they only get dried whole corn, I'll try to sneak some out for them next time I shop.
My poor ducks haven't had peas in ages even though I have 2 3lb bags in the freezer. poor things.
Wow 70's aww sounds lovely even 53 was nice.
smile.png
you have a wading pool for your chickens? lol
You should have seen Robert when I started putting everything together to take out to the gang. He said something about a meatloaf, two vegetables and a salad...why not some red wine as well (hope he was kidding about the wine). Have to keep my eye on the birds and make sure they don't start staggering around.

I have several small round plastic things that are actually for draining the oil out of your car for an oil change. The are about 3-4 inches deep and make perfect water bowls to scatter around so that no one has to keep running back to the waterer. During the summer, when it was real hot, the chickens started to stand in them...guess to cool their feet...and that has continued. They seem to love to stand in water. But, you have to remember, I have really strange chickens.

Our local grocer over-ordered-stocked on some things for Thanksgiving so we have some real deals on fresh produce. Corn was 10 cents per ear, lettuce 50 cents per head, they had celery for 5 stalks for a dollar but I read somewhere to not feed celery to birds because of the strings. The hamburger was not cheap but this is cattle country and they don't have the fatty ground meat...this was ground sirloin...some treat.

You should have seen Robert when I started putting everything together to take out to the gang. He said something about a meatloaf, two vegetables and a salad...why not some red wine as well (hope he was kidding about the wine). Have to keep my eye on the birds and make sure they don't start staggering around.

I have several small round plastic things that are actually for draining the oil out of your car for an oil change. The are about 3-4 inches deep and make perfect water bowls to scatter around so that no one has to keep running back to the waterer. During the summer, when it was real hot, the chickens started to stand in them...guess to cool their feet...and that has continued. They seem to love to stand in water. But, you have to remember, I have really strange chickens.

Our local grocer over-ordered-stocked on some things for Thanksgiving so we have some real deals on fresh produce. Corn was 10 cents per ear, lettuce 50 cents per head, they had celery for 5 stalks for a dollar but I read somewhere to not feed celery to birds because of the strings. The hamburger was not cheap but this is cattle country and they don't have the fatty ground meat...this was ground sirloin...some treat.
LOL That would ave been a hamburger here. lol Never heard of giving chickens raw meat especially hamburger.Reason saying they say hamburger should be cooked well done before eating.
Funny you mentioning the wine because some years ago in the Country Side mag someone wrote about how to catch your chickens if you need to, well they used vodka in their mash and had chickens drunk as skunks all over. Wish I had kept the mag now so I could repeat the story, I could not imagine giving my flock alcohol evidently some do.
smile.png
But if your going the whole 9 yards with wine you need to remember the candles
tongue.png
I have seen those plastic things I think my dh has one. That's a neat idea.

What a good deal on the veggies. I like to come across sales like that too.

Guys I live in Tennessee.
Woops! My bad. And, a perfect bit of timing. A goose in need of a home and a home in need of a goose!!!! Your opportunity to fill and empty place and help Kiwi have a friend. Two ganders can actually work very well. They may bond like brothers and, with no hormonal issues, be best friends. Find out the particulars and maybe take a gander at the gander (hahaha).

I know I had noticed TN on your avatar but it just did not register with me. Now I can say I know someone very special in TN.

If you decide to check out the goose let us know how it works out. Is Kiwi doing any better?

Woops! My bad. And, a perfect bit of timing. A goose in need of a home and a home in need of a goose!!!! Your opportunity to fill and empty place and help Kiwi have a friend. Two ganders can actually work very well. They may bond like brothers and, with no hormonal issues, be best friends. Find out the particulars and maybe take a gander at the gander (hahaha).

I know I had noticed TN on your avatar but it just did not register with me. Now I can say I know someone very special in TN.

If you decide to check out the goose let us know how it works out. Is Kiwi doing any better?

He's eating a lot more and swims in the pool again! So he's doing a little better.

He's eating a lot more and swims in the pool again! So he's doing a little better.
That is good news. Especially the eating. I have a friend in California that had ducks he had raised from chicks. They were very tame and as healthy as you can imagine. He had to go an a business trip and had people watching his birds, even had someone staying at his house. But they all just stopped eating. Evidently it is not uncommon for domesticated birds to actually starve themselves when their companion (human or other bird) is absent. So, the fact that Kiwi is eating more is a really good sign. Please let us know how thing progress and how you are doing as well.

Back
Top Bottom