Protruding breast bone? Hopping quail...??

SMMS3617

Chirping
Apr 28, 2021
One of my girls was acting weird this AM--hopping around, noticeably different than yesterday. She laid this AM and has been for weeks, one of my first. They're ~13w/o right now.

She was acting lethargic--hiding, laying with her head down, closing her eyes. (She runs when I go to pick her up) When I examined her, something is poking out of her chest. Breast bone/keel? I'm new to birds sorry for the lack of knowledge.
I attached pictures.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20230716_171233.jpg
    20230716_171233.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 20230716_171332.jpg
    20230716_171332.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230716_171346.jpg
    20230716_171346.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 17
If you gently pinch the rest of the keel (further up, around the chest) is it easy to feel the ridge or is it more hidden by muscle? This bird may be underweight.

Any change in what you're feeding them?

Hi there,

I just went out and checked, I'm not sure how to answer because it's my first time owning them. I did check some of my other girls and I didn't notice the same symptom. I'm not sure how meaty their breast area should be but my girl with the issue seems about the same size and weight. She is one of 9.

I haven't changed their feed since I got them at 7weeks old and it's been Homestead Harvest quail layer 26% protein since the beginning. They use a 3 port feeder so there's never an issue of lack of access.

I'll watch her to see if she's not eating. She is laying so I was thinking if she's underweight she wouldn't expend that energy?

I would suggest separating her so you can see how much she's eating and drinking and what her poop looks like.

Now that they're around 13 weeks old you may want to start transitioning them to an adult food. Mix their current feed with some adult feed, gradually making it more adult feed until that's all they're eating.

I would suggest separating her so you can see how much she's eating and drinking and what her poop looks like.

Now that they're around 13 weeks old you may want to start transitioning them to an adult food. Mix their current feed with some adult feed, gradually making it more adult feed until that's all they're eating.
I can do that.

What should I look for in the transition feed? Percentages and all.

Thank you for your advice too.

I did see her poop and it looks very similar to the others. Light brown with some white.

Back
Top Bottom