purple eggs???

Pics
Hm, one of my son's red stars often lays eggs with a purple-pink 'bloom' like in the plum egg photo, although never as pronounced as in those. I have not really paid attention to whether it washes off, but it looks like it should, if that makes any sense. i should get a photo of the next good one that comes along.

Pat

I'd love to see a purple egg!

Suzy
frow.gif

Okay guys.

If we are that desperate and can't get the real thing,

we must take drastic measures.

Such as going to the store and getting some purple food coloring!

(if there is only purple food coloring in australia, I am going to be way jealous. Better men, better eggs... the list goes on!)

Quote:
Croad Langshang and the Langshang are the same breed..

"The Black Langshang were imported from China into England by the late Major Croad, so there is a class of "Croad Langshans' in the English Standard. They became a Standard variety in this country in 1883"...
(Quote from American Standard of Perfection)

If you are looking for Croad Langshangs just look for a breeder of Exhibition Langshangs...

Chris

I had at least one marans that was laying pink/plum eggs in the late summer, early fall, then quit. I included them with lots that people bought with full disclosure of the defective coloring, and most people wanted the eggs anyhow for hatching. I don't know what bird was laying them, or if they will lay the same color again in 2010, but I'll be sure to post pics if they do.

Quote:
Croad Langshang and the Langshang are the same breed..

"The Black Langshang were imported from China into England by the late Major Croad, so there is a class of "Croad Langshans' in the English Standard. They became a Standard variety in this country in 1883"...
(Quote from American Standard of Perfection)

If you are looking for Croad Langshangs just look for a breeder of Exhibition Langshangs...

Chris

It's spelled Langshan, not Langshang.
hide.gif

Quote:
Thanks Mahonri - I do have some interesting colors. Here's some that people describe as purple or really pink - plus some gray ones and some olive eggs. All the birds that laid these have the same two parents - an EE mom and a BCM dad.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x204/chicklady/assorteggcolors.jpg

Those are so COOL! I love them! What color did the EE mom lay?

The EE mom lays a large light green egg as seen in photo below.

oliveeggspecial1.jpg

I hatch all of them and the offspring all look different from one another and each lays a different colored egg. I've been hatching the olive eggs and selling both chicks and eggs because I get more olive eggs than I do purple or gray. The olive eggs tend to produce babies that "LOOK" * like Copper Blue Marans (females) or pure Black Copper Marans (males) and it seems to be a sex-link trait. Most haven't gotten old enough to produce their own eggs yet so I don't know what color the next generation will lay. But I may have to start hatching the purple and gray eggs just to see what I'll get from them.

*Legal disclaimer - "LOOK" means they "look" like pure breeds - obviously they are not - so I call them my "Olive Eggers". (Just don't want to ruffle the feathers of those who like to correct anything that has to do with Marans.) These are mixed-breed mutts who happen to lay beautiful colored eggs.

Last edited:
Ruth. That is so cool! Maybe one day I will try that combo and see what comes out. Those eggs really are purple. That is really amazing. The Marans eggs are beautiful as everyone agrees, as are the EE eggs, but together..wow!

Back
Top Bottom