Question on Safe-Guard vs Aquasol product info

What is Panacur Aquasol?
I believe Safe-Guard is the only maker of Aquasol.

I unfortunately don't have a dog. My bf has one and his vet refused to do it for a chicken (and we did mention we were only looking for the same exam as for a cat or dog but she still didn't want to) - I called every vet in Waco and none of them accept to do it, except one who says they can make my one chicken (not even the whole flock) a patient by giving me an (expensive) appointment for her in 3-4 weeks and they will then decide what they want to prescribe... this was so infuriating!

If you want to treat your flock for common worms, go with the goat paste and be done with it.
I think you might be over thinking this.
Ahaha, overthinking is what my job pays me for, I am definitely overthinking things, it's a way of life!

What is Panacur Aquasol?
I believe Safe-Guard is the only maker of Aquasol.
I think you are mixing up words.

Panacur is a maker of fenbendazole.

Sage-Guard makes Aquasol which is also fenbendazole.

Aquasol is approved for laying hens to treat 2 types of worms with no egg withdrawal.

Sage-Guard also makes a horse paste and goat liquid product of fenbendazole that most people use for chickens.

Aquasol is extremely expensive.
The goat and horse form of fenbendazole is not.

I unfortunately don't have a dog. My bf has one and his vet refused to do it for a chicken (and we did mention we were only looking for the same exam as for a cat or dog but she still didn't want to) - I called every vet in Waco and none of them accept to do it, except one who says they can make my one chicken (not even the whole flock) a patient by giving me an (expensive) appointment for her in 3-4 weeks and they will then decide what they want to prescribe... this was so infuriating!

Ahaha, overthinking is what my job pays me for, I am definitely overthinking things, it's a way of life!
If you're planning on buying AquaSol I got news for you. It's going to cost more than a vet visit.

Also, horses, goats and cows should all receive 2.3mg of fenbendazole/lb of body weight... (so 0.023ml of the 10% product / lb of body weight)... why are chickens at 10 times this dosage? Did we just come up with this to be safe and make sure we kill it all in there, or is there another reason why they should be given that much?

sources:
Horse and cows: https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=391b94ab-535c-4a8c-94d1-d3c5de11f81b
Goats: https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=89567dad-e2d5-4b7b-9e6e-c35668c3c2fa
It's not made up, it's because they have a faster metabolism, and there are many proper veterinary references to back this up.

Kiki, see the european link -> Panacur makes a product named aquasol that is the exact same (might be a question of patents or distributors, I have no idea)

I don't plan on buying Aquasol, I just want to talk about the dosages and why they difer that much :)

Panacur might be the one making it in EU, not sure, but the concentration, dosage recommendation and administration were exactly the same (see the link to the EU web page). Panacur also exists as a horse paste that i have seen used for chickens (see: https://the-chicken-chick.com/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens)
I would stop thinking about the water-soluble one and get the liquid for goats. The water-soluble is close to $300 a liter and has a shelf life of 6 months after being opened.

Back
Top Bottom