Question RE: Euthanizing Using Starting Fluid...

DARN!! That way of killing a chicken is NOT RIGHT. It will suffer more using lighter fluid than if you waited until your DH gets home. If you can't kill the chicken properly, try to find someone to do it for you. HECK it would be faster and easuer on the chicken to pour the fliud on it and lite a match to it. Who in the world ever came up with the way on killing a chicken. I would like to put them in a box with the fluid. If the hen is that bad off, just hit it in the head with a hammer or ball bat.

Yes, I remember a thread earlier this year where someone tried the lighter fluid thing, and after 20 or 30 minutes the chicken was still alive and SUFFERING TERRIBLY!!
Please, can't you find another FAST way to do this! Just use the bullet!! The pain and suffering would be minimal. It is cruel and lazy to use the lame lighter fluid way.
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

Quote:
I have to agree with panner.

TJ, I know it's scary to have to do what you know needs to be done but please
try to find the strength to do it. Removing the head is scary but not hard. It's
quick and painless. Do the deed and turn away. You will have an uneasy stomach
but as a chicken owner it's really something you need to know how to do.

Hopefully your husband is just being a typical guy (like me) when he makes
a comment like "It's a waste of a bullet". I think he probably is.

hugs.gif

Hello panner123, I found the info. on this site. And no, I am not going to use that method, my husband will shoot her in the head when he returns home. I was just trying to get others opinions about this method since this was the first that I had heard of it and I had never euthanized a chicken before myself.
If worse came to worse, and my DH wasn't going to make it home this evening, I had decided that I will just pay the vet tomorrow to put her down.

Thank you for responding...

TJ

let's not gang up here. she was asking for advice for a genuine problem. don't assume that she's lazy and cruel. when people are upset and worried, they are going to consider a lot of things.

remember, she specifically asked about a humane way? her intentions are good.

the more stress you heap on people who are already stressed out for innocently asking the "wrong" question, the LESS they're going to ask questions in the future. i don't think that's what anyone wants.

Last edited:
Hello Poison Ivy, I caught the lighter fluid too but I didn't know if maybe they were one in the same. I don't know much about the difference between the two but the post that I read on how to do this did say to use Starter Fluid...

Either way, it isn't going to be used...

TJ

IF I could do it my way in the city limits, I would not hesitate to use a .22 in her head and quick way to go too and merciful too. I had to put a full sized hen with starter fluid and had to USE ALOT of it, almost the whole can of it to put her out. Never again! I would just be done with her by breaking her head and use the starter fluids for baby chicks or knock them out cold.

A .22 bullet is not that expensive....just get up the strength and take a deep breath and pull the trigger....

Be brave!

Aw, thanks picklespickles and Purple Chicken! Just reading this has tears streaming down my face... This has just been such a tough week for me and my flock. I've lost 4 birds so far and going to lose another one and may lose one more... I at times just felt like I didn't know where to go or what to do... I knew I needed to come here and I'm glad I did. As I always say, you all are the BEST!

Blessings...
TJ

Back
Top Bottom