Question RE: Euthanizing Using Starting Fluid...

If the ether starter fluid works for large chickens then I'd do it this way. I just haven't heard enough success stories to know it works.

I've also been interested in carbon monoxide poisoning using car exhaust and the proper piping into a bucket.

This stuff puts people to sleep / kills them without them even knowing it, so it has to be pretty painless.

Of course, the obligatory warning: If you use carbon monoxide you should NOT eat / feed the meat to anything.... it must be disposed.

A neighbor lady of mine committed suicide by tying a plastic bag over her head. It wasn't the first time she tried it but before when she called her parents to say good bye, they came in time. The second time she was successful. If this was a very uncomfortable way to go, I think she would have tried a different way the next time. Why wouldn't that be a good way to euthanize an animal? As the bag ran out of oxygen, wouldn't they just lose consciousness and stay passed out until they died? Just a thought...

I'm sorry if I offended someone. I will not see any animal suffer a SLOW death. Here in Ca., they have put on hold the use of drugs to kill someone on death row. I feel if you look back in time they cut off a person's head to kill them. Then came the gun and they shot them. Much less suffering. I as a person that has raised chickens for pets as well as food would have no problem with killing the chicken. But, as anyone that has read any of my articles on killing, eat what you kill. If you gas the chicken you can't eat it.
When we are having a chicken dinner, I can send my oldest grand daughter out to slaughter the chickens. And in a few years she will be a vet.

Quote:
Hello GloriaH, I dunno if she will make it or not if I let her live... She seemed pretty active right after it happened but then two days later she would just sit all the time. She acts like she has no strength in her legs, like she has gone lame. (if that makes any sense at all) She looks about and trys to turn around in the pet carrier but she can't stand at all. I've wondered too if I'm not giving her enough time but something is telling me that she's not going to make it...

And Panner123, no offense taken. And I am all for people eating what they kill but I don't expect that to apply in all cases. If you hunt or raise animals for that purpose then that is fine but these chickens were bought and raised for pets and eggs, nothing more... And quite honestly, if you saw her you would probably agree she wouldn't be worth the effort, she's small. You'd be lucky if you got a nugget or two off of her...

My DH came home this evening and said he would take care of her in the morning... He didn't fuss or complain, which is unusual. I think he sees how hard it has been with taking care of the injured and watching some die. Overall it could of been worse and that is what I keep telling myself...

Well again, thank you all for your help. I really don't know what I would do without you all...you're always there no matter what.

Blessings...
TJ

Plastic bag? Not a good idea? You could set it in your lap on the bag, and pet it until it went to sleep, and just pull the bag up around it and twist tie it? When it uses up all the oxygen, it will just get light headed and pass out, at least that is what I would guess. I have never actually tried it. My poodle is getting older and I am dreading that one way trip to the vet, the needle, the look in her eyes, she hates the vet‘s…ewww. There has to be an easier way…

Has anyone out there tried the plastic bag?

Have you ever accidentally got saran wrap over your nose and mouth? Like when saraning large outdoor objects? It is a TERRIBLE feeling.

I think your neighbor may have been able to do it because the mind, emotions and physiological reactions to stimuli, when psychologically they have given up, are way different from something that has a desire to live. How can some people mutilate themselves during some types of depression and be ok with it? It's a physiological state of being.

That said, I have put down a few hens who had lost their will to live and they put up no fight. I am sure if I had suffocated them, they would have also not put up a fight.

As for bagging a conscious bird though that has a will to live, I don't think that would be so good because they wouldn't just pass out. An able body when being suffocated, or having oxygen displaced has a huge physiological response.

One thing we did in a bioengineering physiology class was to monitor vitals while in effect suffocating ourselves by breathing in and out of a plastic bag. (Testing the effects of Hypoxia) Our heart rates went sky high, our blood pH and pressure soared, and our faces went flush. Everyone in our class, as we were alive and had no desire to die, all stopped way before the level of passing out. It was fun and was a very good learning experience that will stick in our heads...

I don't think suffocation is the way to go. CO may pass you out but that is just another way to poison the body basically so it shuts down.

Beheading may be cruel to some and hard to do, but I still personally think it is the fastest way to go, as your central nervous system is instantly disconnected rather than put though a forced shut down via deprivation.

You may be right. That’s why I’m asking. Another reason I thought it might be easier was when you go up too high in a plane without oxygen, you get giddy, like drunk, and then pass out and die if you don’t get back down, if I remember the story I read correctly. So unless you know you’re dying, you aren’t aware of it and maybe you don’t get scared or excited like in your class experiment? Putting plastic directly over your mouth and nose would be a sudden lack of oxygen too, instead of gradual, like in a closed bag. Sorry… Big whimpy softie here…I'd probably pass out before the chicken!

Last edited:
Well, you don't want to pass out before the chicken, then you might accidentally let more air in and you'd just drain bamage it.

But if anyone wants to try, it is an option and can later report to the boards how it went. This is the point of the boards so that people can share experiences with what did and didn't work.

Good luck with the hen what ever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom