Question RE: Euthanizing Using Starting Fluid...

No one is ganging up here or judging her. No wait, I am judging her.
I believe she is a good hearted animal lover who doesn't want her
chicken to suffer. She also cares enough to come here for help.

Panner had every right to answer the question in that manner. I would
hope others would answer my questions here as honestly and directly,
wether I like the answer or not.

Clarification:
Starter fluid is ether, something that used to be used as an anaesthetia.
It is used for starting engines, not fires.

Lighter fluid is mostly kerosene and used to light fires.

Don

Last edited:
well, i know that's how i felt when my goat got attacked by dogs and i was freaking out and people were judging me. i thought it was very uncool and very self righteous. when you are freaked out, you are considering anything. maybe the right thing, maybe the wrong thing. but you know you have to do something regardless.

my goat today just has had her fever break from the injury. this is the first time the cloud has lifted from over my head for a couple weeks.

hang in there

Quote:
Back at ya...
hugs.gif

If you were closer I'd bring over some new babies for you. We have a bunch
of peepers here and I'm just waiting for that one that isn't gonna make it
and needs intervention. 'cringing'

I'm so sorry you've had such a rough week with your poor chickens.

Hang in there and at least draw some comfort from knowing you are doing the right thing.

Hugs...

i kept a horse up for 3 months she fell through a fence cut her leg to the bone. vet couldnt sew it up. used wound dust .kept her head in a sling so she couldnt reach it with pipes and all kinda straps. 3 times a day i fed watered this horse. i kept her alive when the vet wanted to put her down. sometimes alittle work and time helps.but if she had been suffering i would have put her down.so i guess what im saying is sometimes ya gota do what ya gota do.

Just to clear things up for some of hte folks chiming in. There is a difference between the fluids talked about.

"Lighter fluid" could mean a couple of differnt things, refilling zippo type lighters or starting charcoal briquets on the bbq grill.

"starter fluid" comes in an aersol can from auto part stores, it is primarily used for starting hard to start vehicles. one of the primary chemicals in strarter fluid is Diethyl ether.
Ether used to be used as an anesthetic but an overdose can be fatal due to asphyxiation so its use was stopped. it works by displacing the oxygen in a closed area causing suffocation. I have used it when performing surgery on impacted crops

Sorry you had a bad week TJ. I understand how you feel. When one of my chickens had to go down, I "chickened out" and took her to the vet. It cost $60, but it was easier than doing it myself. (I stayed with her through the shot to make sure she didn't panic-- although she really was in no state to panic at the time.) Hope things get easier for you

I'm so sorry to hear that she's not doing well...I myself couldn't do it...I would have your DH do the deed and let you know when he was done so that you could take care of the body. Or I would go to the vet and have him do it.
hugs.gif

Is she eating and drinking? Chickens can be pretty tough. If she is alert and eating and drinking I would give her more time. It took my rooster "Pooster" over a month before he could walk right after a dog attack. I have a very sharp ax and I have learned to take care of it myself. It's just my part of being a chicken owner. I can understand how hard it can be to do, when you love your animals.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom