Questions about Muscovy ducks !

Miss Lydia thank you for responding so quickly. I have a pretty nice size area for him however, I cannot release him unsupervised because the fence I have is not secure enough and I had a horrible incident where my dogs got into the area when I wasn't home and I was fostering 4 babies and the dogs unfortunately injured all four. I took them to the vet but 2 did not make it and the other 2 I realeased near a lake that I have in the neighborhood once they got old enough. I'm planning on putting up a new fence at the end of the month but until then I don't want to take the risk of letting him loose without supervision. I try to let him loose as much as I can when I'm at home.
I really don't think anemic but I am not a vet. Good ole sunshine is one way of making sure they get plenty of nutrients. and fresh air and good feed. When placing in the sun make sure they have a place where it's shady too so they can get out of the sun if they want too.All I see is a pretty face. Like I said some good poultry vitamins would be good I give them to mine when they are going through their growing stages.

I am sorry about the dogs. happens sadly.

Good fencing is a must when we have ducks or any poultry.

Thank you Miss Lydia for the advise. Do you buy your vitamins online, and if so what is the name of the product. Thank you

Hey I just got my laying muscovies and my boyfriend opened the door, knows nothing about ducks... all 3 flew the coop one in different directions. We caught 1 over a 12 hour period the other one is sitting where she flew. She is scared and flighty we have tried every attempt on the threads to get her home in the barn. She's flying further each attempt she's almost a km away from our barn... any more suggestions please it's really starting to snow and I'm worried how I will get her back safe

name="JLfarmurl="/t/891294/questions-about-muscovy-ducks#post_13564707"]Hi I am starting this thread for all the newbies and experts to ask their questions about their muscovys and hopefully get the answer they were looking for.

So ask questions and experts and myself will tell u the answer from our experience.[/quote]

@tinaandlizi I am not sure how to get her home if she isn't sure where home is yet.I wouldn't keep scaring her so that she keeps going further away. you might try putting some [corn] out at the base of the tree she is sitting in only during the day though remove it for the night so you don't draw any preds. possibility you get her down out of the tree she might come around if you have one of her friends with you. I suggest corn because it's a big hit with my birds and it has color so they can see it good. If you can set up some kind of temp fencing area you may get her to come inside for food then once she goes in close up the opening and go in an get her quick so she doesn't have a chance to fly off again. I have no idea if this will work just not sure what else you can do to get her home.

What about #3?

OK my scovies are 10 months old now and I have NEVER seen an egg. Granted they free range and could be hiding them but none of my females have gone broody either. I have searched high and low and... no eggs, no nest. I have seen them mating and one drake has "claimed" two ladies and does not let them get more than 4 or 5 feet from him. Shouldn't they be laying/broody by now??

OK my scovies are 10 months old now and I have NEVER seen an egg. Granted they free range and could be hiding them but none of my females have gone broody either. I have searched high and low and... no eggs, no nest. I have seen them mating and one drake has "claimed" two ladies and does not let them get more than 4 or 5 feet from him. Shouldn't they be laying/broody by now??
They should begin to lay soon, mine are usually around 9 months and I covered ever nook and crevice so they couldn't climb up under anything to make a nest [which they are really good at doing] But if yours are constantly free range no tell where their eggs or nest can be. Yours are never put up at night so they have a house to lay in?

Once laying begins usually broodiness comes soon after[ maybe a month or so. ]

Last edited:
Anyone ever had one of there Muscovy's fly off with wild mallards? I have free ranging Muscovy's on our large pond. I saw one of my females yesterday morning before work and when I got home she has seemingly disappeared. I'm pretty sure she's not laying as I collected 5 eggs from here February 23th which I have in the incubator. The last few weeks there has been 2 pairs of wild Mallards in our Pond which she had taken a liking to. Now the two female mallards are gone as well. We looked all over our property we have 160 acres so impossible to check it all. But there is absolutely no sign of her. Is it possible she flew of with the mallards. Or could she be laying again even though its only been a month since her last clutch.

So, i have a 8 month old Muscovy hen who is currently made a nest under a duckling house. The problem is, there is only about a 4 inch clearance that she is crawling under to nest. Is ths enough room for her? I am afraid once she starts to sit on her nest constantly that she will be to cramped.

What i was wondering is, could I place a brick under each leg of this duckling house to give her some more room, or will she abandon the nest? Thanks for any help!

Back
Top Bottom