Quick LGD question

If you were wanting Goats? You would have goat fencing up and Goats can be trained to come in off grazing...The Dog would protect them while grazing...You would need to buy one that was raised with sheep/goats from Birth....They bond strongly to what they are caring for.....If you decide on one? They are not pets, they are working dogs....My boy has a mind of his own and makes his own decisions as to what needs to be done......As far as feeding goes, for the large size they are not big eaters....

Cheers!

The bonding operates to keep dog oriented on herd. That very important where herd can range over a large area where it is easy for dogs to become separated from flock. Failure to bond makes so dogs make not effort to stay with herd. Keeping the dog from killing is a process of regulating play and later predator instincts which is different from bonding. Regulation of killing is the only concern with the chickens. Since chickens not tight in herding or flocking over larger areas, the bonding process between dogs and poultry is not as important as simply having dog defend area poultry range.

The not a pet concept applies with keeping dog from splitting interest between humans and the herd it is to protect. That is not all that applicable when poultry are kept in close proximity to the household, especially if dog into getting out there on job when needed. If poultry kept well away from home and dogs needed to be tight on that location, then yes pet option needs to be suppressed.

For their size, they eat proportionally. They can make up feed short fall by scavenging and consuming vermin they catch.

This is all great information, thanks :)

Although I do have another question: you know how with most puppies they say socialization is really important? Is that important with LGDs and/or helping them determine a threat or do they just stay out with the livestock? And do they ever attack when they shouldn't? Or do they not really attack? I was just wondering since if they make their own decisions entirely it seems it could sometimes be dangerous? Or maybe they're trained or something? I guess maybe that's another reason why they're not as good in smaller areas or neighborhoods?

This is all great information, thanks :)

Although I do have another question: you know how with most puppies they say socialization is really important? Is that important with LGDs and/or helping them determine a threat or do they just stay out with the livestock? And do they ever attack when they shouldn't? Or do they not really attack? I was just wondering since if they make their own decisions entirely it seems it could sometimes be dangerous? Or maybe they're trained or something? I guess maybe that's another reason why they're not as good in smaller areas or neighborhoods?

The frequent statement they do their own thinking is an indication they are independent or not inclined to be biddable, like a regular wolf. The ideal is to raise them in close proximity to stock they are to defend with occasional / daily interactions with human caretaker / herdsman will suppress agression against humans although process is leaky. Ideally you do not do a whole lot of puppy loving so dog still remains aloof around humans. Even then with LGD's you can have butt biters which is not desirable. We has a GP that did that making for need of replacement.

A well bred LGD...Should have all the proper instincts to NOT attack the flock...Mine is great with Chickens and Horses...He was born and raised with Mini Mares and foals...I got him at 4 months old...He is Fantastic...No one would dare come onto my property to steal anything or harm us....He is a Marsh mellow most times, I would not want to be on the receiving end of him though when he is working....They bond to family, home, and whatever they are in charge of....They are not social Dogs...When we have company he leaves to lay on the hill...He does not need human companionship....Thousands of years taught them to be alone with flocks...
Best thing to do is research the breeds and then you will know all about them....

Cheers!

Thanks to you both, this is definitely helpful.

So is it possible they can be loving and nice or at least not aggressive to their owners but be aloof or aggressive to other people? I guess I was more asking before less if they'll attack their owner (seems that would be call for replacement) and more if they would randomly attack a stranger?

And I've heard GP are more friendly? Is that true or not really?

Thanks to you both, this is definitely helpful.

So is it possible they can be loving and nice or at least not aggressive to their owners but be aloof or aggressive to other people? I guess I was more asking before less if they'll attack their owner (seems that would be call for replacement) and more if they would randomly attack a stranger?

And I've heard GP are more friendly? Is that true or not really?
That is correct....A Maremma is pretty much like a GP in temperament......They love their family not outsiders...

That is correct....A Maremma is pretty much like a GP in temperament......They love their family not outsiders...

I actually thought I read once that some Maremma's can be a little more aggressive, idk if it was towards their people or strangers or both, but they seem to be great so maybe it was just one dog and I've been wrongly judging them hah either way, they both do seem friendlier than some other breeds .

As an example....If you were throwing a Party and your kids were running around and someone grabbed your kid to swing up in the air.....The dog might bite the person??? When we have lots of people over, I lock Finn in the Basement...He gets nervous....

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom