Quiet Peafowl, Anybody interested???

Maybe you should put some clothes on when you go out?
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I’m lucky, if the weather is warm enough that I have the possibility to let my green peafowl out I have already a very nice male concert since one month.
Every year I missing this after the matting season, but now it is back.
wee.gif
I always miss the noise too. My peacocks are still quiet right now.
hmm.png

Or at least when I am over to feed they are quiet. Who knows how much they call when I am not at my Grandma's!

I like making the peacock call to the peacocks, and hearing them call back.

I like making the peacock call to the peacocks, and hearing them call back.

That is how I was first getting their attention when I would call them in for evening feeding. Now, the ones that are not standing at the pen door come flying in when I yell 'Peabird!' It will be interesting to see what changes in that behaviour when nature starts providing feed for them.

That is how I was first getting their attention when I would call them in for evening feeding. Now, the ones that are not standing at the pen door come flying in when I yell 'Peabird!' It will be interesting to see what changes in that behaviour when nature starts providing feed for them.
They will still come when you call unless they are after a trespasser then you got to go to them and run the trespasser off
lau.gif

Dr. James any news?

Hey, I haven't been on here primarily because of all of the haters. I still haven't done any peacocks yet but I have had a few offers from some that are interested. I'll probably end up with some eggs from a client to try it out. I think it's kind of funny that people question my surgical abilities and make assumptions about other folks' opinions on this procedure. This procedure has been successfully used on peacocks by the vet that taught me. So proof of concept does exist. People also assumed the same things about "de-crowed" roosters not being able to function normally with less volume. Well that's been disproved by the quiet roosters that are out there fertilizing eggs and protecting backyard flocks. All the while keeping the neighbors happy. People forget that peafowl are strictly an ornamental animal. To my knowledge they aren't being raised for sport, egg or meat production like chickens. So I liken this procedure to de-scenting ferrets. They are modified in a way that does not seem to alter the behavior or well being of the animal but allows it to be enjoyed by humans. Not necessary for life, but can possible allow for one. Again, this isn't for everybody. It shouldn't be. Just an option. Thanks.

Dr. James

Hey, I haven't been on here primarily because of all of the haters. I still haven't done any peacocks yet but I have had a few offers from some that are interested. I'll probably end up with some eggs from a client to try it out. I think it's kind of funny that people question my surgical abilities and make assumptions about other folks' opinions on this procedure. This procedure has been successfully used on peacocks by the vet that taught me. So proof of concept does exist. People also assumed the same things about "de-crowed" roosters not being able to function normally with less volume. Well that's been disproved by the quiet roosters that are out there fertilizing eggs and protecting backyard flocks. All the while keeping the neighbors happy. People forget that peafowl are strictly an ornamental animal. To my knowledge they aren't being raised for sport, egg or meat production like chickens. So I liken this procedure to de-scenting ferrets. They are modified in a way that does not seem to alter the behavior or well being of the animal but allows it to be enjoyed by humans. Not necessary for life, but can possible allow for one. Again, this isn't for everybody. It shouldn't be. Just an option. Thanks.

Dr. James

Seriously?

Someone disagrees with your ideas -- which you have not personally tested -- about animals that you have never raised, and they are "haters"??? I didn't see anyone calling you names, how come you're the one starting with the name-calling?

Peafowl are NOT chickens. Unless you can explain lekking behavior and the social function of mating calls, you may not want to make bold statements that de-voicing a pea won't affect them.

Until you have seen or heard a lost pea find its way home using calls, you maybe shouldn't discount the need of a pea for the ability to communicate over distance with the members of its group.

What on earth would you mean by saying "people forget that peafowl are strictly an ornamental animal." Does that mean that we can and should sculpt it however suits us, regardless of the animal's actual needs? Because it is "ornamental"? And what's with "people forget" -- who forgets? Would that be us "haters"?

Somewhere along the line -- possibly in vet school -- I would have expected that you might have learned something about recognizing the needs of an animal.

Before you get too carried away comparing de-voicing a peacock to de-scenting a ferret, why don't you do a little behavioral research?

And maybe rethink the professionalism angle of calling people who disagree with you "haters" -- it tells us more about where your head is than maybe you want to reveal on a public forum.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom