Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
I have some questions if someone could answer them that would be great!

1) I adopted a high strung show rabbit who had been locked in a small cage her whole life. She is almost 2. I got her Saturday. The previous owner did not want her nor her mate saying that they were quite energetic rabbits and she had previously been in a few jumping competitions and shows. She is a Tan rabbit. Her name is SpitFire (by previous owner) she is friendly, but when she is inside she runs around like a maniac and I can't catch her very well. When you hold her (I know rabbits don't like to be held, feels like a predator) she scratches and kicks. She has been in a harness before and apparently did very well.
I was just wondering if a harness would help... Does anyone have any experience with harness training?

2) so far I've been feeding all 3 rabbits (1 Mini Rex, 1 Holland Lop, 1 American Tan) pellets. I know they need hay, what kind do you suggest?

Thank you!

I have some questions if someone could answer them that would be great!

1) when she is inside she runs around like a maniac and I can't catch her very well. When you hold her (I know rabbits don't like to be held, feels like a predator) she scratches and kicks. She has been in a harness before and apparently did very well.
I was just wondering if a harness would help... Does anyone have any experience with harness training?
Are you asking whether a harness would help settle the running around like a maniac and fighting you when you pick her up? I don't think so. You are a stranger, she's been kept locked up. Those behaviours are perfectly natural, I'd run around like a maniac if I was let out to do so after living confined. What's their housing? Do they have running around room outside? My first thing to give her would be plenty of running around room all the time so she doesn't go "woohoo!" when she is given playtime inside. Second, I'd spend time with her offering food, talking to her, letting her get to know me. When she knows you are not a predator, she shouldn't be so reluctant to let you pick her up. At the moment, she does not know you and from her perspective you are no different from some wolf out in the wild. I wouldn't try to put a harness on an animal that doesn't know who I am, and has a measure of calm and trust that what I am doing isn't trying to hurt it. Try having your playtime in one room/in a playpen, where she can run around but not get under things where you can't retrieve her. Wait until she settles on her own and learns that you are her friend and not out to chomp her for dinner. Find some food she really likes to offer her. When she knows you better, then try using the harness if you really want to.
Quote:
Find out what's available locally. Lucerne is for babies, so not that. I get oaten because they sell it here. We can also get the imported Oxbow but it's hugely expensive and as I have a few hay-eaters it isn't an option for me. They can have oaten or meadow or timothy (which is the imported stuff here). You don't have to feed just one kind, get what's on special or looks the nicest. Because it's a natural product, it varies. Sometimes the oaten is like straw, and sometimes it's nice and green. It depends on stockist, time of year, all sorts.

Last edited:
I don't want to offend any one but we breed ours to eat they are New Zealand Whites, no medicine or hormones stuff. But they eat and play till its time. Sorry . I feed mine pellets, oats, sometimes the feed store has oats with maple for horses and I buy small bags to give them, hay, fresh grass when I cut the yard we have 5 acres so I have a lot of it. I plant a garden and all the green scraps go to them . They love the big green leaves from broccoli, cabbage, mustard greens , all that stff. I planted a tone of carrots last season for them thy loved that. I love my animals and care how they live. But we do eat some of them.

and all the green scraps go to them . They love the big green leaves from broccoli, cabbage, mustard greens , all that stff.
Yes, they love their veges. Kale is a big winner with mine, they love that. They also like capsicums and they like rosemary. I give them hunks of it and they chew the woody stems as well.

Uh yea they ate my shoes up a bit, I'll have to get them some chew toys.

Used the harness on Spitty, she did very well. Didn't mind it at all. Now I just need a smaller size!

Quick question.My rabbit has been having a repolsive smell lately and im beginning to think its her scent glands.How do you know?I always pick her up and it sticks to my hands and even when I wash my hands that fowl smell is still there.....

Is there a rabbit water bottle that doesn't leak! I have the usual one that hangs upside down. But it leaks all the water out. Some leakage is typical but not ALL the water! I tried another bottle with a valve, but my rabbit can't/won't drink out of it. For today, I tied a coffee mug to the cage with water in it. I only have one rabbit, a black and white Rex about 3-4 months old.

Back
Top Bottom