Raising feeder insects

You may have covered this but figured I would ask and save searching. Do you provide these just for treats, or do you use them as primary protein/feed source for the birds.

My goal is primary protien source, but my colony isn't big enough yet, so right now it is daily treats 20 chickens get a total of 50 dubias per day. I'm working towards feed out of 300 per day. I'm working on a new colony home that should greatly increase my colony size, and working on a meal worm colony the goal for that is 1 cup per group (two groups of chickens now about to add a third) per day.

Here's a youtube video of how one lady raises her Blaptica Dubia Cockroaches.

My family already thinks I've gone off the deep end with all the critters I have ... I wonder if I were to start raising cockroaches would it alarm them any more ???
hide.gif
My daughter has already threatened that I need to be on the hoarders show.

My goal is primary protien source, but my colony isn't big enough yet, so right now it is daily treats 20 chickens get a total of 50 dubias per day. I'm working towards feed out of 300 per day. I'm working on a new colony home that should greatly increase my colony size, and working on a meal worm colony the goal for that is 1 cup per group (two groups of chickens now about to add a third) per day.

So one cup per 10 chicken group is what you are doing now. Do you suppliment the chickens with any other type feed, or just the bugs and free range? How large of colony would it take to do the 300 per day.

I had not seen that video before, I don't seperate mine at all. My colony all live together from hatch to old age, or harvest wichever comes first. I like the easiest possible way to raise insects I don't want to spend time moving them from one bin to another or anything like that. I would like multiple colonies just incase one crashed for whatever reason I wouldn't have to start over.

My husband has gotten used to the idea, and while he won't harvest them he is glad I pushed him into it and am willing to raise them b/c of how the chickens react to them. (Gary is a complete softy when it comes to animals)

So one cup per 10 chicken group is what you are doing now. Do you suppliment the chickens with any other type feed, or just the bugs and free range? How large of colony would it take to do the 300 per day.

No I don't feed any mealworms at all yet still growing that colony up to harvest size.

I feed out 50 dubias to 20 chickens per day, yes I feed the chickens garden greens and veggies (still picking them from the garden) fermented or sprouted oats (whichever I feel like) and they have layer pellets available to them 24/7, but we don't go through much layer pellets at all.

I have the dubia colony in a 30 gallon tank that fits 8 egg pallets in it, and it is full to the limit now so I would need roughly 6 x that space, I am working on converting a nonfuntioning chest freezer into a mega colony. I am thinking that should be enough space for the amount I want to harvest.

No I don't feed any mealworms at all yet still growing that colony up to harvest size.

I feed out 50 dubias to 20 chickens per day, yes I feed the chickens garden greens and veggies (still picking them from the garden) fermented or sprouted oats (whichever I feel like) and they have layer pellets available to them 24/7, but we don't go through much layer pellets at all.

I have the dubia colony in a 30 gallon tank that fits 8 egg pallets in it, and it is full to the limit now so I would need roughly 6 x that space, I am working on converting a nonfuntioning chest freezer into a mega colony. I am thinking that should be enough space for the amount I want to harvest.
HOLY COW! That would be HUGE! How many Dubias can live and thrive in a colony that size.

Nate

It is a mid size freezer and I have been building the egg crate things for them to live on. In my current 30 gallon fish tank I can get 8 egg crates in. The freezer will hold more then triple that volume. The amount that can live in the container is totally dependent on how much living space you can get in it. They like being crowded as long as there is plenty of food and water.

The ants found my dubia colony. I knew it was a matter of time and kept meaning to put the table legs in oil filled containers but never got around to it, so tonight was the night, I squished all the ants I found and now the table isn't touching anything else in the room and there are oil filled containers on each of the legs.

I need to do the same w/ my mealies, but they are in a dresser, it is going to be a little more complicated to do the leg in oil thing as it doesn't have any legs. I need to think on this over night and see what I have that will work.

I'm sorry to hear it! This is a common thing with the d.b.? or maybe just where your house was built? There's no doubt in my mind that you will come up with a solution for the mealies too. Do you still keep them in the dresser with the lights and sprouting sacks?

I'm sorry to hear it! This is a common thing with the d.b.? or maybe just where your house was built? There's no doubt in my mind that you will come up with a solution for the mealies too. Do you still keep them in the dresser with the lights and sprouting sacks?

Yes I do keep the mealies there. My house always has ants I have never been able to eliminate them. I won't spray, even before the mealy's and dubias. I have tried the bait stations they barely make a dent.

I will need to put some kind of legs on under the dresser, just not sure what I'll come up w/ yet.

Back
Top Bottom