Ringneck Pheasant info page *warning lots of PICS*

DSCN9097.JPG
DSCN9110.JPG
DSCN9109.JPG

I incubated 80 eggs for over 4 weeks, turning 3 times a day, proper heat & humidity....NO development at all. I'm thinking it's because my Rooster is too young. He is about 10 months.
But the hens continue to lay like crazy! Do I need to remove the rooster in order to get the hens to stop laying? Help Please!

I incubated 80 eggs for over 4 weeks, turning 3 times a day, proper heat & humidity....NO development at all. I'm thinking it's because my Rooster is too young. He is about 10 months.
But the hens continue to lay like crazy! Do I need to remove the rooster in order to get the hens to stop laying? Help Please!
Removing the cock bird will not prevent the hens from laying. Each hen will lay X amount of eggs during breeding season.

In most cases, the cross is a 'dead end'.
I've seen mixed reports about fertile males from Silver Pheasant/Chicken Cross. I am trying to find what type of birds are closest to the Jungle Fowl or the closest from a divergant time. For example the Commun Pheasant Jungle Fowl diverged about 20,000 YA, 30 MYA for Quails. Within Jungle Fowl the Red anf Green 4 MYA From Red to Gray and Cylon 2 MYA. Some studies Say Jungle Fowl may be basal to Pheasants and duster group to new world Chacalacas

Edit.

Just Checked and the closest relative yo Chickens are the chinese Bamboo Partridge.

Last edited:
Second Edit. According to this DNA The Chinese Bamboo Partridge is the closest but because they could not get access to more species samples and they theorized that Galloperdix like the Red Spurfowl are much closer

The genetic link between the Chinese bamboo partridge (Bambusicola thoracica) and the chicken and junglefowls of the genus Gallus
https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/92/24/11053.full.pdf

Quote from source: "If the implication from its generic name holds true, they might show even closer affinity toward Gallus than Bambusicola, while manifesting little affinity toward Pavo. Unfortunately, all attempts to secure samples of Galloperdix inhabiting India and Sri Lanka failed."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom