Rooster Chat

Pics
As long as they aren't causing any problems....leave them with the girls.
Absolutely! They can stay, provided they remain gentlemanly.

I noticed last night, during the time chickies were entering the coops for the night, the boys are still looking out for the girls. They didn't start heading in until the girls did. One RIR stayed out and paced the parameter of the run until all the girls were in before he headed in for the night. I have such good boys, birds in general. I'm very proud of my chickies. I like to think I had a part in their behavior. I am gentle with them and try to be patient even though the boys tried my patience when their hormones got the best of them. I recall getting so frustrated when trying to get the girls to eat and as soon as they would leave their roosts the boys would ponce on them. I had to shoo the boys out into the run. Weekends worked out a tad better. I would go out later in the morning and there seemed to be a hormonal decrease at that time so they were calmer, more manageable.

Last night, to alleviate the chasing of the Orpington's, I purposely was in the roo's run during the time they headed in the coop for the night. I don't want them to think that it's ok to attack the Orpington's during this time. Alpha (me) is in charge and it's not acceptable. They behaved. I understand why they do it but it's not acceptable. All is good in chickie land and it feels good.

Thank You! I also treat my birds kindly and calmly.....talk to them all the time (to the amusement of my neighbors) I will step in and break up, or head off a roo or cockrel, if he gets to intent on chasing the girls, especially if he targets a particular girl....or they try to tag team one of the ladies...that will not be tolerated, if I can stop it. They do learn to behave....they are not as stupid as most people assume....they are just chickens ya know?....they will say....until they witness me stopping bad behavior, with a sharp word, and direct eye contact with the culprit....then I get the quizzical look and how did you do that?

Thank You! I also treat my birds kindly and calmly.....talk to them all the time (to the amusement of my neighbors) I will step in and break up, or head off a roo or cockrel, if he gets to intent on chasing the girls, especially if he targets a particular girl....or they try to tag team one of the ladies...that will not be tolerated, if I can stop it. They do learn to behave....they are not as stupid as most people assume....they are just chickens ya know?....they will say....until they witness me stopping bad behavior, with a sharp word, and direct eye contact with the culprit....then I get the quizzical look and how did you do that?
Oh, stupid they are not! You got that right! When I would have to monitor so the girls could eat/drink, the Orpington's especially, thought they were wise. They would pretend to wander the area, opps just want to get a drink etc. then quickly ponce on a pullet. Like I didn't know what they were up to. Sneaky little buggers. And they are quick! yes, I love the quizzical look. They don't have facial expressions per sa but the eyes say it all.

Hey all. We have a polish bantam roo that we adore. He has always been respectful even though he isn't a cuddle anymore lol. Recently he has started getting very overprotective of his ladies. Not uncommon and I'm not overly worried about it since he is in a coop. We are trying to integrate 4 new hens. Laying age. Never introduced grown chickens before. Of coarse my old english game starts attacking the newbie. I had to break it up and our roo didn't like it one bit. Since then he becomes aggressive with my legs when any of the girls even talk to me lol. I'm not afraid of him but I want to curb this now before he gets out of hand. Usually I wait till he calms and then carry him around. It's always worked but now he is escalating to the point to where I can't even grab him. I don't hit or kick my animals. I personally don't feel like this helps the situation. Not quite sure what to do now though. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

Crowd him. Make him move away from you. You don't have to be aggressive about it, but you casually claim his territory. If he was a "Pet" he may have decided that he's in charge.....you show him that he is mistaken.....that where ever you are...its your territory. I do not step around or avoid any of my Roosters. If they are foolish enough to challenge me....they end up playing "Chicken Purse" for as long as I care to carry them around. Those big old rooster legs and feet make a good handle....a couple slightly embarrassing, mildly uncomfortable episodes, usually changes the attitude....and they make way for you....if that doesn't teach them respect....well...let's just say, I don't put up with aggressive Roosters. Period.

Crowd him. Make him move away from you. You don't have to be aggressive about it, but you casually claim his territory. If he was a "Pet" he may have decided that he's in charge.....you show him that he is mistaken.....that where ever you are...its your territory. I do not step around or avoid any of my Roosters. If they are foolish enough to challenge me....they end up playing "Chicken Purse" for as long as I care to carry them around. Those big old rooster legs and feet make a good handle....a couple slightly embarrassing, mildly uncomfortable episodes, usually changes the attitude....and they make way for you....if that doesn't teach them respect....well...let's just say, I don't put up with aggressive Roosters. Period.

Thanks. That's what I'll do. I wasn't prepared this morning and was wearing my coop shoes (sandals) next time I'll wear my muck boots. He usually doesn't bother me but I've noticed lately he breaks up squabbling with the hens. When I broke it up I think he was showing dominance but I didn't have the chance to do much with my sandals on lol. I try to go in the coop frequently so my chickens are use to people. I'll give what you said a try but if he continues on with this behavior I don't deal with aggressive roosters either... would like that to be a last resort though. Thanks for the tip.:)

I agree with the @poppster. Carrying them around also works. I have one recalcitrant rooster in my flock. Little ingrate likes to attack me when my back is turned. Last spring he managed to make contact with a spur and I spend the next 8 weeks healing the wound up. I was ready to put him on the "endangered species" list until he came down with an injured foot. I thought at first it was bumble foot but discovered that it was a deep scrape. Still, about every 4 days I have to catch him and change the bandage. He hates it. Hates being caught. Hates being turned on his back in my lap. Hates me just because he can. BUT he isn't acting aggressive any longer and runs like his tail feathers are on fire every time I enter the run, which exactly the behavior I want out of this rooster.

Also, one day I caught him sneaking up on me from behind and I had a bucket of water in hand that I let fly at him. He was doused good and proper and I had to get more water but it worked. I pick up a bucket and he puts as much space between him and me as he can. My roosters don't have to be pets but they do have to respect me.

I agree with the @poppster. Carrying them around also works. I have one recalcitrant rooster in my flock. Little ingrate likes to attack me when my back is turned. Last spring he managed to make contact with a spur and I spend the next 8 weeks healing the wound up. I was ready to put him on the "endangered species" list until he came down with an injured foot. I thought at first it was bumble foot but discovered that it was a deep scrape. Still, about every 4 days I have to catch him and change the bandage. He hates it. Hates being caught. Hates being turned on his back in my lap. Hates me just because he can. BUT he isn't acting aggressive any longer and runs like his tail feathers are on fire every time I enter the run, which exactly the behavior I want out of this rooster.

Also, one day I caught him sneaking up on me from behind and I had a bucket of water in hand that I let fly at him. He was doused good and proper and I had to get more water but it worked. I pick up a bucket and he puts as much space between him and me as he can. My roosters don't have to be pets but they do have to respect me.

Agreed. We love our roosters but still treat them like roosters. We have always carried him around and never had these issues. Recently we've been busy working and haven't had as much time to spend with him so I'm wondering if he is just testing the waters. For now I've told the kids to stay out of the coop and I'm going to start working with him but if his attitude doesn't get better he will get a permanent eviction notice. It's sad though because he was always the sweetest rooster. But can't have him hurting one of the kids... :(

You have received great advice so far. I am no expert, just trying to get through my first year, but I have a silkie that was acting domineering to one of my silkie pullets. To calm his britches, I placed him in solitary for a day. He was placed in a big dog carrier with food and water. It calmed him down. Fortunately, he's never been aggressive to me, he was just too aggressive at the end of the day to one of my silkie pullets. I don't know why but he would chase her in the coop and it got out of control. I'm attributing it to those darn end of day hormones. Now, of course, he's in the bachelor pad and during the witching hour (head back to the coop time) if I see him acting aggressive to one of my Orpington's, I simply stand in his way. He calms down and walks away. When he was in with the pullets and he would misbehave (biggest offender of mounting the girls) I would stop him in his tracks, carry him and tell him how handsome he was and ask him why he was so bad. Along the lines of what others are prescribing.

You have received great advice so far.  I am no expert, just trying to get through my first year, but I have a silkie that was acting domineering to one of my silkie pullets.  To calm his britches, I placed him in solitary for a day.  He was placed in a big dog carrier with food and water.  It calmed him down.  Fortunately, he's never been aggressive to me, he was just too aggressive at the end of the day to one of my silkie pullets.  I don't know why but he would chase her in the coop and it got out of control. I'm attributing it to those darn end of day hormones.  Now, of course, he's in the bachelor pad and during the witching hour (head back to the coop time) if I see him acting aggressive to one of my Orpington's, I simply stand in his way.  He calms down and walks away.  When he was in with the pullets and he would misbehave (biggest offender of mounting the girls) I would stop him in his tracks, carry him and tell him how handsome he was and ask him why he was so bad.  Along the lines of what others are prescribing.     

Lol our guy can get that way to when I first let him out of the coop in the morning. His attentions are not appreciated but he thinks he is a stud lol. I've snatched him up a few times and made him sit in my lap in the mornings and that seemed to calm him down. :)

Back
Top Bottom