Rooster Keeps Attacking me!

Thanks everyone and especially coloradochick for such detailed and useful advice. When my rooster, Bertie, (Sussex light I think) recently became aggressive I did all the wrong things I see! I got down on his level, I spoke soothingly and I hand fed him treats. Needless to say his aggression got worse. Tonight I tried it differently. I went into the coop in a big way, acted like I owned the hens, treated them first and wouldn't let him near the bowl till they had eaten, and got right up in his grill. What fun! He humbled right down. He is actually a timid and gentlemanly thing usually, but my oldest rooster, Monk, recently died, and he was the sweetest soul ever, but he never let this guy get away with anything. He was twelve and in great health until this killer winter. The old guy used to run and knock the young guy off the hens. Now I see I have to channel my inner Monk!

In response to this. My rooster was never aggressive towards me, until we went away for a few days. I left my son in charge of them. He's not as diligent as I am with being attentive. Since we came home I've been attacked 3 times and my bff was attacked as well. I'm thinking stew pot. He drew blood through my pants.

What did you do when he attacked you?
pop.gif

I kicked him each time. This morning he rang out after I opened the pen and got behind and attacked me drawing blood. I'm wondering if its because I went away for 5 days and my son ignored them.

I kicked him each time. This morning he rang out after I opened the pen and got behind and attacked me drawing blood. I'm wondering if its because I went away for 5 days and my son ignored them.

Not likely. Chickens love to be ignored by humans...they like living their chickeny lives without our interference, which is why you are getting the brush off each time you come in his world. Kicking him is a defensive response and only reinforces his belief that he is attacking a lesser creature and winning at it. Each time he wins that little fight, it makes him feel he is doing the correct thing....attack, engage in a fight, the challenger retreats. Success!

If you want to change that thinking and whole chain of events, you need to be HIM and he needs to be YOU in that scenario. A calculated and determined offense beats a frantic, angry defense any ol' day and it usually wins the game.
wink.png

I didn't write this, I found it and can't remember where. It makes sense. I have the same issue with a new rooster that I want to keep, so I'll give it a go myself:

1. Never fight them. If they attack me, I withdraw slowly, without fighting back. This is not difficult. Roosters aren’t very dangerous and this isn’t a life-or-death struggle. A chicken can’t force you to do anything; the choices are all yours.

2. Don’t scare them. Don’t walk directly towards them as if you’re going to run them down. If you watch the roosters, you’ll notice that their behavior changes before they attack. They do a little dance and give other signals that they’re feeling threatened. Don’t trigger this behavior. If you do, back off a little and they’ll forget all about you.

3. Feed them handfuls of grain. Roosters know that other roosters don’t double as feed dispensers, so when they associate you with food, it’s hard for them to think of you as a fellow rooster.
You’ll be amazed at how quickly these techniques work, how much better you feel about your chickens, and how much more confidence and control you’ve achieved. By observing your chickens’ behavior but not participating in it, you can give them what they really need, not what they think they want.

shoot him. NOT kidding, he's going to hurt you. I shot mine after he went after a child's face and eyes.

I agree with Bailey. I had 6 chickens up til the middle of last week. 3 of my "hens" suddenly developed combs and spur nubs. My mistake in mis-sexing them led to a very worn out hen in a very short time frame. Then they started getting a bit more aggressive with me and my daughter.

She loved the fresh grilled chicken. She was surprisingly okay with helping me process 3 of them.

I rather like the idea of grabbing him by the legs and hauling him around like that for a while .. see if it works.
Hand feeding ,, ?? ,, maybe .. give it a try.
If either of these don't work practice the Queens Theory .. " ! Off with his head !"

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom