Rooster Strut 2014

Roostersandhens---are those chickens in your house!?
ep.gif
(if so, I don't feel so alone LOL!)
Yes, the boys in one of the pictures are. I love having chickens in my house sometimes :) I currently have a hen in the house, bu only because she has the sniffles (respiratory infection - not a bad one). She is completely fine otherwise, so I have been training her. She knows to jump on my lap when I say up, and to come when I yell her name (her name is Dotty).

Yes, the boys in one of the pictures are. I love having chickens in my house sometimes :) I currently have a hen in the house, bu only because she has the sniffles (respiratory infection - not a bad one). She is completely fine otherwise, so I have been training her. She knows to jump on my lap when I say up, and to come when I yell her name (her name is Dotty).
Awe...
love.gif

I have two roos and a little cockeral over 30 some hens.

Head roo pritz

Old Roo olly (not allowed to mate or be near pritzs girls...but he is sneaky
wink.png
)

Little Roo Chip pritzs son (he is so cute but can get cocky sneaking around mama hens to steal treats from her babies which always results in a stern peck....

Last edited:
LL
This is my EE roo. He's just learning the ropes, and does not have a mentor. He's got a tough job, with 5 older biddies, and 12 pullets to take care of. So far, he's people friendly, keeps his eye on the sky and tree line. Alerts the flock to anything out of place: Including cats, people walking on the road, bluejays flying overhead, people in rain coats, and cars coming into the yard. He's just started tid-bitting and sharing morsels from his beak. He makes little nests around the yard, settling in, and making a great show of how superior his nest is to the nest boxes in the coop. He'll wiggle his butt around and cluck, trying to entice "someone, anyone, please put an egg here!!!" He accompanies the biddies to the coop when they lay their eggs, and helps them to sing their egg song. He gets to stay as long as he minds his P's and Q's. The only draw back that i can see is his crowing which starts at 4:30 AM. Fortunately, it seems that i am the only person in the family who is bothered by his early morning singing.

Anymore rooster bragging peeps? I enjoy my roosters more every day. Since we culled the bad ones, all we have are the good boys left. Even the one the neighbor lady gave me from her last yr hatch, he has finally gotten fully integrated into the flock.
Now, he wants to fight with the two roos that stay in the run. I have to keep them separated. But the new guy gets to do the free ranging duties. He's been really good about spotting hawks, dogs, etc......and sending the flock to hide. I am learning their alerts also. Comes in handy when I hear an alert...so I know what they are looking at. And all of the alerts are different too...of course. They even whisper "hawk"....everybody runs for cover.
I need to get some new pictures...for 2014

I have sure enjoyed reading the posts of people that have commented.!
thumbsup.gif

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom