Rooster thread

Yeah, Smoothie was named by my sister, Katie. She's got a sister named Chiquita Banana
tongue.png

This is Fowler, Arrow's adopted kid, if you will.
So, Arrow and Bear Grylls (big boss at the time) went at it for two days. Arrow lost, so he slept in the dog kennel in the garage where he was between fights. Next Spring, when we got more baby chicks, he would sleep on top of their cage and watch them. When they got to go outside, he followed them around and was a perfect gentleman. Even though Fowler was an obvious roo (crowed at 4 weeks), he didn't have any serious fights with him except for once. Then Bear and Fowler went to freezer camp, because they loved the ladies a little too much.
wink.png
Fowler couldn't make up his mind whether to be tough guy or lap chicken - both of which he excelled at.

This is Fowler, Arrow's adopted kid, if you will. So, Arrow and Bear Grylls (big boss at the time) went at it for two days. Arrow lost, so he slept in the dog kennel in the garage where he was between fights. Next Spring, when we got more baby chicks, he would sleep on top of their cage and watch them. When they got to go outside, he followed them around and was a perfect gentleman. Even though Fowler was an obvious roo (crowed at 4 weeks), he didn't have any serious fights with him except for once. Then Bear and Fowler went to freezer camp, because they loved the ladies a little too much. ;) Fowler couldn't make up his mind whether to be tough guy or lap chicken - both of which he excelled at.
Wow he's pretty, and at 4 weeks? Early crower
1f602.png
mine started crowing around 12 weeks. Also, you just let them fight? I thought you had to keep them separate?

They fought till they were worthy of being called "franken-roo", then we took them in the house and cleaned them up, put them in kennels for the night, and let them duke it out in the morning. We just let nature take it's course. Arrow had plenty of room to run away, which he did, and when Bear got tired of chasing him, he went to the coop, and Arrow went to the garage. Even when Bear got injured later, Arrow still didn't pick a fight with him, hence the World's Best Buffy Award winner.
tongue.png

They fought till they were worthy of being called "franken-roo", then we took them in the house and cleaned them up, put them in kennels for the night, and let them duke it out in the morning. We just let nature take it's course. Arrow had plenty of room to run away, which he did, and when Bear got tired of chasing him, he went to the coop, and Arrow went to the garage. Even  when Bear got injured later, Arrow still didn't pick a fight with him, hence the World's Best Buffy Award winner. :p

Oh, I see. We originally had two roo's, Fredrick and Bob, as you can see we kept Bob, both of them were supposed to be pullets, Fredrick was a feather legged cuckoo maran. We couldn't keep both because we have barely enough hens for one roo, 7 hens to two roo's is not a good idea. So we had to sell Fredrick. I'm still unsure about keeping Bob, he tries to mate our duck, who has a crest, and if he pulls on it and it gets ripped off she will die, and he goes after the kids, which he could hurt, and his spurs are starting to come in.

Dang, sounds like a meany. As you've seen, the more docile breeds (i.e., Orps) seem to make good boys. Arrow gets a little nasty in the morning, but he takes such good care of the hens a few sparring matches are worth it
smile.png

And if he goes as far as to mate your duck I wouldn't keep him :/  

Dang, sounds like a meany. As you've seen, the more docile breeds (i.e., Orps) seem to make good boys. Arrow gets a little nasty in the morning, but he takes such good care of the hens a few sparring matches are worth it :)

Yeah. Has Arrow tried testing you?

Back
Top Bottom