Rooster thread

He is greatly missed. At least he still has quite the harem of ladies in heaven
wink.png

I love this thread!

I don't have a great camera, but here are three of mine

Vicky - he's supposed to be a blue Cooper Maran

This Becky Easter egger ameraucana

And Oliveñio, an F2 olive egger

Oh, I see. We originally had two roo's, Fredrick and Bob, as you can see we kept Bob, both of them were supposed to be pullets, Fredrick was a feather legged cuckoo maran. We couldn't keep both because we have barely enough hens for one roo, 7 hens to two roo's is not a good idea. So we had to sell Fredrick. I'm still unsure about keeping Bob, he tries to mate our duck, who has a crest, and if he pulls on it and it gets ripped off she will die, and he goes after the kids, which he could hurt, and his spurs are starting to come in.
I do not think he will kill her because of some ripped feathers.How old is he?

I do not think he will kill her because of some ripped feathers.How old is he?
Here are my roosters.2 cockerels and one roo.
gorgeous birds! we already sold him, he was six months old. We had no place to put him until he got through his hormonal aggressive stage and matured. and yes my duck could of been killed, crested ducks have a crest because there is a hole in their skull and a lump of fat covers the hole and then feathers grow over the lump of fat, if the crest is to be ripped off the brain will be exposed and the duck will die. 50% of crested ducks die from neurological issues or being hatched with their brain exposed etc.. I lost a crested duck due to being hatched with neurological issues, at around a few months old he started having seizures, from 1 seizure every few hours to 3+ an hour, he had shown signs of having issues since we got him. also, you can never mate two crested ducks because all the ducklings will die, you can only mate and regular duck with a crested and still only 50% will live. its not just feathers on their head.

Wow I did not know that,thought they were just fetahers who grew on the duck head.

yeah, I didn't even know what a crested duck was when I got them, I was told they were Pekins but ended up being crested buff orpingtons. when I found out they were crested I thought it was just a poof of feathers that is supposed to be in the breed (like cream brabanter chickens, that's just feathers, its part of the breed)

what breeds are your roo's?

The first one is a cochin bantam (Only four months.)the guy in the middle is a New Hampshire Red,and his son is below him,he is a black sex link,only about 7 months.

Back
Top Bottom