Rooster???

I would have no more than one rooster per 10 hens. Yes, we have lots of chickens;) My speckled Sussex is the definite leader of the flock. And the whole flock knows it.

That should be fine. Especially with the Guineas. He should mellow out, and holding them upside down for a min should help a lot. I have had to do that with a Cochin too before and it straightened him right out. I have my roosters paired 1 roo 1 hen, but that's so I can monitor breeding. The ones that I'm not trying to breed are any where from 1 roo to 5-7 hens.

I have 5 hens and 2 guinea hens, 1 rooster

Same thing happened to me. This spring i bought 11 pullets. One turned out to be a rooster.i bought my rooster a no crow collar and (Thank God) its 100% effective. However my rooster has NEVER SO MUCH AS PECKED ME. HE is a gental giant. At 5 months old he is almost 3 times bigger than my female Barred Rock hens who are full grown and laying. He weighs in at about7 pounds already. Im very fortunate he never comes after me or pecks me. Never has. Ive been told if they do that you hold them; down to the ground and make them submit to you. Or hold them upside down until they are still.Do NOT hurt him in anyway but show him that YOU are the lead rooster . You can work with him and hopefully he comes around.if he does not, you might consider finding him another home.ive had to do that myself with mean spirited roos that continued to come after me. My big guy is the first one ive ever kept. Hes good to the girls, a gentle guy when matting, yet protective still of the ladies.but luckily hes not come after me. You might read up online on how to get yours to settle down towards you. Online will have many tips and tricks and tell you exactly how to do them. I wish you the best and hope this helps a bit.

so how many hens to a roo for a happy flock? and good luck and godspeed!
A minimum of seven hens to a roo. A lot of the time a roo has his favorite hens, that he will mate regularly and some hens little to maybe not at all, if he has a lot of hens. But he needs a choice, so 7 is minimum, but 10 is better. Of course if you have a Psychotic roo, then double that to 14 or more. In my opinion. GC

Yep, puberty induced testosterone poisoning.

Use some of the rooster "taming" techniques on him if he try's to dominate you. Or even just to show him who's boss of the flock.
But like others noted, if he does really start injuring the hens or doesn't calm down in a month or so, chicken soup.

Ok so, obviously I'm a new chicken mom... my intent is for eggs not chicks. Should I keep a rooster for protection, or am I going to end up with fertilized eggs?

As noted, if you have a rooster, you will have fertilized eggs, But that does not change the quality of the eggs in any way.
It also gives you the option of hatching chicks if a hen goes broody. And hatching peeps under a broody hen is soooo cool.

The main question is do you want a rooster?
Will he help protect the flock? Sure.
Do your birds free range? If so, having a rooster is a little bit of insurance. But no guarantee against predation.

Are they fun to have around? Sure, as long as you make him behave.

If I could have a rooster I would. But our ordinance does not allow it. But if I could I would.

I ended up with three roosters. We will see how it goes. One is a bantam and lucky so because he would be a stew pot bird if he was bigger. Lucky he is small enough for me to literally backhand across the coop (only had to do it once and he never came at me again). He is a very good little guardian and much more watchful of the sky's than the other two boys. He has one little bantam pullet he is constantly with. Then there are the big boys. Lead rooster is a Dominique. He is a good rooster and never gets more than a foot or two from me even if he is sitting down. The other is a black Austrolorp and boy is he going to be huge!! He's a very slow and late bloomer though and at 18 weeks still has not started crowing. He pecked at me once (not aggressively) and I just picked him up to humiliate him. I only have 11 regular pullets (then the one bantam) so I'm crossing my fingers it works out. I know it can on occasion if they are all raised together which they were. So far so good tho. I would def recommend a Dominque for a rooster if this one doesn't work out. They are beautiful and really good natured.

Back
Top Bottom