Rooster???

Like I said it's really like 2 roosters to 11 and 1 bantam to 1 bantam. But if I need to when the time comes I will. I have read a decent amount of threads where people actually had the same ratios and they were fine because they all grew up together. We will see.

3 roosters for 11 pullets is way to many. I recommend you narrow it down to one.

Yea, the whole chasing a girl around when you set her down is completely normal and nothing to be alarmed about. The grabbing of the face may be slightly concerning. Just keep and eye on him and make sure he's not drawing blood. Usually when they are young and just starting to mate, they are a little over aggressive, but that SHOULD level out over time. If it doesn't I would consider getting rid of him.
Would clipping the end of his beak to blunt it help?

If it came down to beak shearing, I would rather just make soup than mutilate the bird and make him live with 3/4 beak the rest of his life.
I'm no bunny-hugging animal rights advocate by any stretch, but i find beak clipping less than acceptable for long lived birds.

@PingoBags No, by any means this would make it worse and only infuriate him. I agree with @carlf , I'm no peta all organic crunchie, but beak clipping is cruel, it would be better to just eat him.

Also, I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but i have never found 10 hens to a rooster very necessary. Most of my breeders are pairs of two, and I never have problems. If they are young i just have all of them in a yard together until they start to tussle. My breeder pen is designed so that only two birds can be in it at a time. I personally don't think there is a specific hen to rooster ratio, as long as there is only one rooster, I just adjust the amount of hens to how aggressive (for lack of a better term) of a breeder the rooster is.

Back
Top Bottom