Roosters that don't crow...

NicoleSmit

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2017
Central Louisiana
I'm not exactly sure if this is the right forum for such a question, BUT ....I picked up two "pullets" at a chicken swap that were approximately 8-9 weeks old. They didn't crow...and still don't crow. (now 15-16 weeks) The lady I got them from had 10-12 birds - that I assume were all rooster?!?

My question is ...is there a way to damage the rooster voice box so that they can't crow? It seems weird that both are roos and neither crow?

I'm not exactly sure if this is the right forum for such a question, BUT ....I picked up two "pullets" at a chicken swap that were approximately 8-9 weeks old. They didn't crow...and still don't crow. (now 15-16 weeks) The lady I got them from had 10-12 birds - that I assume were all rooster?!?

My question is ...is there a way to damage the rooster voice box so that they can't crow? It seems weird that both are roos and neither crow?
Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're really glad you joined us:ya Pullets are young hens and Cockerels are young roos. Can you post a pic of your birds?

Yes, she assured me that was getting two pullets... that turned out to be Roos.

Attachments

• IMG_3791.JPG
    IMG_3791.JPG
    645.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3796.JPG
    IMG_3796.JPG
    474.2 KB · Views: 25
I should have been more clear, I was looking for pullets. I got rid of 4 roosters at that swap.

Now I have two more roos. The BR is possibly blind...or partially blind. He uses the white one as a sort of "seeing eye chicken"

Sorry I mis-understood your question. Let's wait and see if someone out there can Give you a good answer. Essentially, you suspect the seller did something to prevent the roos from crowing, correct?

I know we have reputable BYCers near you. Here's one of the LA threads.

All of our others started early...so I just assumed that she was correct in saying that they were pullets. I don't want them to crow, so honestly I'm OK with them not crowing! I live in a subdivision and I don't want my neighbors to hate me, but I also don't want to get rid of my little Blue (the BR, who has poor vision).

Back
Top Bottom