Rose may be a Ross!

Thanks Junebuggena, I appreciate the call even if it's not what I want to hear :(

Here's the story about the sex link and why I still hold out that she's a she. She was supposed to be an Australorp. I've got no one but myself to blame because I picked out two Australorps and two Buff Orpingtons. I was so focused in looking for signs of disease or disfigurement that I didn't notice that this one didn't have the same coloring as what an Australorp chick typically has. She had only a very small light spot at the top of the throat and on her belly. A few days later I noticed this and her gray/black legs. Looking at Meyer's Chick Identification Page she kinda looks like an easter egger, but no beard or chipmunk cheeks. At Cackle Hatchery's info on Black Sex Links, the photos looked just like her. Maybe she's an Australorp that didn't have typically colored down, but I have a hard time accepting that the smallest pullet is a Jersey Giant cockerel. My feed store doesn't bring in that breed (which doesn't rule out a mix up at the hatchery), but I'd think she'd be bigger than at least the other Australorp and I'd think that the hatchery would be more careful with a less common breed. On the other hand, JG's are a slower growing breed and she is starting to get some green sheen to her feathers. The two suspects are the most aggressive of my tiny flock. Oh well, time will tell...

Hatchery Jersey Giants are pretty much identical to hatchery Australorps. The only real difference is the color of the skin. Regardless of breed, it's a cockerel. Too red in the comb, much too early. Pullets don't have that much color in the comb until they are just about ready to start laying.

Someone crowed this morning. It was a pretty pathetic first and second attempt, ra-roo instead of COCK-A-DOODLE-DOO!!!, but still a crow. My money's on Ross as he's starting to act more roo-like, strutting around the yard and was even a little aggressive toward me this morning (two days ago he sat on my lap and let me pet him). I'm resigned that I wont be able to re-home him, and I know that I cant kill him, so I'm left with sending him to someone else's dinner table or ignoring him until a neighbor gets upset. If Hyacinth turns out to be Hiram, I'm sure that the two will try to out-crow each other, start fighting, or at the least wear out the two girls.

Any other suggestions on what to do with my boy(s)?

Someone crowed this morning. It was a pretty pathetic first and second attempt, ra-roo instead of COCK-A-DOODLE-DOO!!!, but still a crow. My money's on Ross as he's starting to act more roo-like, strutting around the yard and was even a little aggressive toward me this morning (two days ago he sat on my lap and let me pet him). I'm resigned that I wont be able to re-home him, and I know that I cant kill him, so I'm left with sending him to someone else's dinner table or ignoring him until a neighbor gets upset. If Hyacinth turns out to be Hiram, I'm sure that the two will try to out-crow each other, start fighting, or at the least wear out the two girls.

Any other suggestions on what to do with my boy(s)?
Accept the reality that most roosters end up on the dinner table. There simply aren't enough people looking to add a rooster to give each one a home, and some just turn out to be real jerks and are dangerous to keep. Even if you do rehome one, there is no guarantee that he will get to live out his natural life. Mean roosters are delicious.
And if it's illegal to keep a rooster, you really are taking a huge risk trying to keep two. Authorities may decide that if people aren't going to follow the rules regarding chickens, to ban keeping any poultry entirely. It's putting, not only your flock at risk, but everyone else's flocks as well.
This is the reality of keeping chickens. Cockerels happen, even when you order only sexed pullets. Be responsible and find a new place for them, either with a different flock or as someone's dinner.

Accept the reality that most roosters end up on the dinner table. There simply aren't enough people looking to add a rooster to give each one a home, and some just turn out to be real jerks and are dangerous to keep. Even if you do rehome one, there is no guarantee that he will get to live out his natural life. Mean roosters are delicious.
And if it's illegal to keep a rooster, you really are taking a huge risk trying to keep two. Authorities may decide that if people aren't going to follow the rules regarding chickens, to ban keeping any poultry entirely. It's putting, not only your flock at risk, but everyone else's flocks as well.
This is the reality of keeping chickens. Cockerels happen, even when you order only sexed pullets. Be responsible and find a new place for them, either with a different flock or as someone's dinner.
Thanks Junebuggena, I have accepted that this will likely be their fate. In our town (known for its chickens) the authorities have a "look the other way" attitude unless your lot is too small. I can hear roos from two separate coops from my house, but I want to keep peace with the neighbors and I don't need them pestering the girls either. I know that two roos on two hens would make for very tired and beat up hens. Even one roo with two girls seems two much.

I do like that roos are protective of the girls and as they're exploring more and more of the yard it's nice to know that someone's on the lookout for them, but it's about time for one to go.

We faced the same decision once, got 4 chicks and 2 were roos. The one with the strongest personality(hormones) went to an Amish farm with 30-40 hens, and lived out his days there. The bantam roo was sweet but LOUD, and he went back to the farm/breeder we got him from, as a pet mostly.

I would ask around, see if you can find a farm or larger scale hobby farmer, who would be interested.

Back
Top Bottom