Rouen Duck thread

Ok I am a dork but I looked though all the post in here and didnt find my answer. My rouen drake Donald is a year and a half old and is starting to lose the green on his head. I read that its called "eclipse plumage." Now he us a show duck and I am hoping for another trophy from him from ghost e fair this year but I am worried he won't be ready for show in three months.what can I do to help my Donald ducky and how long does this last.

Ok I am a dork but I looked though all the post in here and didnt find my answer. My rouen drake Donald is a year and a half old and is starting to lose the green on his head. I read that its called "eclipse plumage." Now he us a show duck and I am hoping for another trophy from him from ghost e fair this year but I am worried he won't be ready for show in three months.what can I do to help my Donald ducky and how long does this last.

Give him some cat kibbles. Gray drakes regain their green heads in the breeding months. He sheds his green head late summer, replaces it with female colours, and I think in late fall/early winter his flashy garb will be back.

I notice on the possible drake that his beak is more yellow than the female and that was an indicator for me with mine that he's a male. Also his beak is longer. I don't know if that helps.

I have a new and probably odd question. My 4 Rouens (2 male/2 female) have started eating mud. It's as if they're attacking it and they make the funniest noises, not just eating noises, but little yelps. . . if that's possible. It's almost disturbing. They drink from their water container and then attack the mud and slurp. Are they trying to get other nutrients? Are they eating fly larva? I have no idea. Anyone have any thoughts??? It's just a new weird behavior!

I have a new and probably odd question. My 4 Rouens (2 male/2 female) have started eating mud. It's as if they're attacking it and they make the funniest noises, not just eating noises, but little yelps. . . if that's possible. It's almost disturbing. They drink from their water container and then attack the mud and slurp. Are they trying to get other nutrients? Are they eating fly larva? I have no idea. Anyone have any thoughts??? It's just a new weird behavior!
Mine love mud all I usually hear is sluppering lol I guess they must be getting something out of it. I do know that they love to dabble so maybe it is fulfilling that part of their nature. They sure are pretty love the one giving you an ear full. lol

@Sowas Ark Welcome to BYC.

Thanks for the replies!! They only started doing the mud thing this week, so I was just freaked out!! LOL! I admit I love these guys/gals. When they hear my voice in the morning (from inside my home!) they all start making noise. Best duckies ever! Soon we're going to let them roam around the fenced yard. They're only in a 15 x 6 x 5 cage now, with their little condo of course!

Thanks for the replies!! They only started doing the mud thing this week, so I was just freaked out!! LOL! I admit I love these guys/gals. When they hear my voice in the morning (from inside my home!) they all start making noise. Best duckies ever! Soon we're going to let them roam around the fenced yard. They're only in a 15 x 6 x 5 cage now, with their little condo of course!

Love what I can see of a coop! That is the coop, right? :D

Hi!! Yes it's a 2-story coop. We have 1 chickens and 1 for our ducks. We had to change the ladder to be a solid one since the ducks wouldn't go up the regular one. They've never gone up top yet, but I'm guessing it's because they're too young to lay eggs yet. This is a pic of the coops before we put the chain link around one of them.

Hi!! Yes it's a 2-story coop. We have 1 chickens and 1 for our ducks. We had to change the ladder to be a solid one since the ducks wouldn't go up the regular one. They've never gone up top yet, but I'm guessing it's because they're too young to lay eggs yet. This is a pic of the coops before we put the chain link around one of them. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
Oh. My. Gosh. I am so envious! That is gorgeous! So much different from my own setup- which I can't wait to enhance, naturally. :D

Back
Top Bottom