Rules for The Coop that the books don't tell you. My experience as a newbie.

I prefer cow... or in my case horse... It may be green but so NOT nearly as stinky...

Our dogs role in anything stinky! Dead animals, poop, ect.

They think it makes them more attractive (NOT!). They just love their perfume. Lol.
tongue.png

Oh my! I'm happy to know that other people's dogs do that. I thought mine was just weird. Well...it's still debatable.
1f612.png

Last edited:
Nice looking dog (such a pretty coat)...what kind is he/she?
We adopted her about 6 months ago so we don't really know for sure. They thought she was probably part border collie and part pit. When I saw her face I was like, "she's the one!" and we went to get her the next day. We weren't sure it would work since she was older (about 1.5 years) and we'd be throwing her in the ring with 7 kids (3 under 3), cats, and chickens. You never really know, especially since she had lived most of her last eight months in a crate. :( She just clicked, though. The babies lay on her, poke her, pull her hair and it never phases her. She's also getting pretty good at herding chickens!

Last edited:
@jackieo61028 she's very pretty and looks so laid back. Thanks for sharing her pictures!

Love this thread, although funny- so, so true & you cannot find this stuff in books. 

Here's some more:

1-  Never give them treats on a paper plate - the plate will be considered part of the treat, they'll scratch, shred it and have food runs with the pieces, and a human trying to be the winner of the prize will be crawling where  " no woman or man should ever go".

2- Never use paper towels to clean the roosts, ramp or coop -  another food run with the humans.

3- Never use cotton balls, Q tips or kleenex to clean minor injuries - same results as above.

4- If yours are raised on sand, the sifter and waste bucket are the most interesting items of the day.  And the places you want to sift are the choice bathing areas - it's no fun to be sandblasted up close.

5- Always collect eggs from the left side of a broody hen, they peck to the right.

6- If the flock is in confined area and get startled, you must squat, cover your face face and hope no flying poop will hit you.

Hm... My broody pecks me no matter which side I'm coming from. I guess she must be ambipeckstrous.

Back
Top Bottom